Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Braving the kitchen


As I've mentioned before, I would give anything to be a part of the foodie world. And I have a master plan for getting there, rubbing elbows with the best Food Network stars - okay not really, I'm just hoping something falls in my lap, but let's just pretend, okay?

One of the big flaws in this plan is that, well, I don't cook.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm incapable of cooking, it's more about lack of time and energy. And honestly, cooking for one sucks donkey balls - especially when you're like me and really don't care for leftovers.

Granted, since the SO has been around my kitchen has gotten some use, but not nearly enough to bump me up into the foodie category.

So, I've decided to start cooking more.

Now really, the main purpose behind this is to start saving a little more money - given that budgeting is part of this whole new years resolution garbage, and I've got plenty of expenses coming up in the near future (read: puppy spoiling) - but being classified as a 'foodie' is a huge bonus.

Problem being - I have no idea what to cook!

I wish I could just dive in like Ang - she's totally my inspiration. These dishes look so amazing. And yet, so complex - I'm just not sure I could pull them off in the minimal amount of free time I have left these days.


Given that I'm a vegetarian whose normal sustenance resembles rabbit food, I don't really know where to begin.

And, if I could make something that looks as appealing as it tastes - yes, I know this is a huge feat for a novice like myself, but I'm up to the challenge - better yet!

Mmmm, just look at that!

To all my foodie, and wanna-be foodie friends out there, help! Know of any good recipes I can get my feet wet with?

In the meantime, I'll be sticking to my fab. chili recipe and foolproof Italian dishes until I get the cojones to branch out to something more elaborate. Though after looking at those peppers, I may be inclined to stuff some in the near future (now would be the time to remove head from gutter, thanks). Wish me luck!

Cheers!

-A

14 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm all distracted by this post because cooking replaced writing to become my favorite creative outlet a couple years ago. Now I have stacks of cookbooks next to the Tolstoy. --Nerd alert--

Anyway, my favorite cooking Web site is Epicurious.com, and I also browse magazines and watch the shows on PBS--no cable, so no Food Network. I try to do something "advanced" every weekend. Like this weekend I cooked a steak with a red wine and mushroom sauce. I think the trick is when you try something new, the first time won't be perfect, so be prepared. Last weekend, my sauce tasted fine, but I put the shallots and Dijon in too early, for instance.

This was the first thing I ever made that impressed myself: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gazpacho-Chopped-Salad-106873

Miss Merry said...

I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't know much about that style of cooking, but I really like AllRecipes.com. You can create a virtual recipe box that stores all the recipes you like.

My friend Lindsy who is a lawyer and therefore works ALL the time, uses the Rachel Ray magazines a lot. She always cooks these super yummy, and very pretty looking dinners for us and swears that they're super easy. You might have to do some tweaking considering she uses meat, but its somewhere to start!

ANG* said...

awwww i inspired you! :)
yeahhh i dont know what came over me. i generally stick to the easy stuff too, but now that i've gotten going i dont want to stop.

good luck stepping out of your comfy zone. and hell, if you have a dinner FAIL, just make sure you have a tub of ice cream or a bottle of wine around to make yourself feel better ;)

Susan said...

Last night I made soup, the boy liked it, but I wish it had more flavor- maybe you could find a creative way to spice it up.

I threw chicken broth (in your case, vegetable broth) into a pot. Then carrots, bok choy, snap peas, chives, a bit of a shallot and then tofu. Oh, and of course, Japanese noodles.

I threw in what spices I had in my cabinet- garlic powder, cumin, some sort of flavored salt.

Good luck with becoming a foodie!

Unknown said...

I follow an immense amount of food bloggers and I watch the Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef. I think I am trying to live vicariously though the chefs on TV. I'd love to be a foodie, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Giada...

Ashley said...

jamie - any chance I can come over for a cooking demo next time? Thanks!

miss merry - i'll have to check that site out...virtual recipe box sounds appealing.

ang - you did! Thanks, lady!!

susan - mmm, soup sounds like a great idea!

envious - I'm just not content with living vicariously. I must BE.

peterdewolf - I'm in love with her too.

Matt said...

Giada is delicious. She doesn't even have to cook!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i think you can be a foodie and not cook. i think i'm a foodie just cause i eat a lot of good food ; )

Dr Zibbs said...

You should consider a food blog/website like WCdish.com . Mary - who runs the blog is a friend of mine. Food Network actaully contacted her once. Check out her site.

Greg said...

I just ate, but this post made me hungry. Maybe I have a problem.

Back-up for Food Network stardom... when that crazy blond-hair guy leaves, someone can take his place... doesn't he just drive around and eat at places these days? Start wearing your sunglasses behind your head, and you're in.

Jamie said...

When I was 16, I was a bus boy at an exclusive restaurant where even the bus boys had to wear ties. I never paid attention to the cooks though because they were crazy and freaked me out.

I ended my stint at that place like any good food service worker. I walked out after they pissed me off!

Have you read Anthony Bourdain's
book Kitchen Confidential? Very good and entertaining, too.

Ashley said...

matt - yummy indeed!

alexa - i'm going with your theory.

dr. zibbs - thanks for the recommendation.

greg - yeah...he's bound to be kicked off sooner or later, right?

jamie - no, but I might have to now.

Robert Stockham said...

If you are new to cooking, start with Mexican and other Latin American dishes. Once you master the burrito, fry it in a little oil and now it's a chimichanga! It's not that easy, but almost, and it is quick to cook when you are working all day. Soups are perfect for winter, and a stew that has been in the crockpot all day is a treat when you come home. Freeze the leftovers and have them a week later-and I bet I worked in the same restaurant as your friend Jamie!