Monday, January 5, 2009

Maintenance Man


For those who haven't been keeping up - I don't blame you, I didn't do much bloggie stuff over the holidays, either - my weekend was spent moving.

This was one of the easiest moves yet. Given that I've moved across the country twice now, and once across the state of Texas, I would hope this is the case.

But really this was probably the easiest move I'll ever have - unless of course next time I'm well enough off to hire some movers to do the dirty work for me. This weekend, I moved a total of three floors.


That's right, same apartment complex, better location.


When I found out that this apartment was available I jumped on it - less expensive than before and it comes with a sliding glass door out to a fenced in yard. The perfect set up for puppy ownership.


But anyway, this is going somewhere, I promise.

The move wasn't too painful, though the organization process is slower than I'd hoped. Turns out, I own a lot of shit. The SO was trying his hardest to get me to make decisions on what exactly I needed and what could be thrown out. A lot was pitched, but you'd never know it to look at my new place. Yikes, lots more work to come.

During the post-move organization process, I ran across a few maintenance issues. Lucky for me, I made nice with the weekend maintenance man long ago, so when I reported these issues on Sunday morning, he came over promptly to repair these problems.

Within 15 minutes the apartment was fixed up and George had plenty of time to spare for small talk. Of course, I was more than happy to placate him - you never know when I'll have a dire maintenance emergency again - and actually, he's quite a pleasant man.

He chatted with me about the weather, the progress of my moving, past "situations" in my old apartment, and wrapped up by letting me know that if there's anything I need, to let him know.

So the lesson here - make nice with the maintenance man, you never know when you're going to need him. And you might be surprised at just how nice he really is.

Has anyone else capitalized on such situations before? What are your apartment living tips and tricks?

Cheers!

-A

3 comments:

Matt said...

The maintenance guy is a good guy to know.


Always.

So@24 said...

Make sure if you have a place next to a couple, you take the room furthest away.

If that's not possible... at least your bed as far as possible.

Ashley said...

matt - most definitely.

so@24 - already taken care of. I wasn't about to risk that one.