Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The 'L' Word


Today I want to talk about what not to say on a first date.

No, I didn't tell some poor soul that I loved him on the first date, what kind of girl do you think I am?

A couple nights ago I found myself telling the story of a date I went on very shortly after moving to the Cleve.

While out with a friend in the basement of Blind Pig (mistake #1), a friend of a friend grabbed me and flung me in front of one of his friends on the dance floor - meet my friend Collin.*
*His name may or may not have been Collin.

So we danced. All night. He was pretty impressive, actually, so when he asked for my number at the end of the night I gave it to him (mistake #2).

Friend of a friend. Safe.

And so the dating game begins...kinda. He called a few days later and the next weekend we went on a date.

He picked me up, took me to Little Italy, it was awkward.

And of course, in my oh-so-standard word vomit fashion I proceeded to dispel way too much information.

Apparently somewhere along the way I thought that filling the silence, no matter what came out of my mouth, would turn around any awkward situation. Typically, especially in my life, it makes things more awkward and I end up embarrassing myself. Though it's still a strategy I live by.

In my ramblings I mentioned just how drunk I was when I met him.

Lush.

Oh and if you didn't catch it, that was mistake #3.

The point I was attempting to make was that I was only out on the dance floor because of the vodka Red Bulls I had downed previously in the night. So in reality, I was trying to prove that I wasn't a typical club-attending 20-something.

When he mentioned to me that he was completely sober the entire night I almost flagged down the waiter to order another glass of wine.

LUSH.

I'm pretty positive that's what was going though his mind, anyhow.

Wow - nothing like a typical TMI situation gone wrong to spoil the evening, eh?

Needless to say, that was the first and last date with Mr. Sober dancer.

Impression FAIL.

So if you learn one thing from my diarrhea of the mouth it's this: if you were drunk the first time you met someone, I'd wait until after the first date to tell them.

Cheers!

-A

6 comments:

Narm said...

It's all for the best - he made the sober decision to hang out in the basement of the Blind Pig. Freak.

Anonymous said...

I got to admit, your post title was misleading for me. My immediate thought was...wow, she's talking about one of my favorite TV shows!!!! (google it and you'll see what I mean.... :) !

Ashley said...

narm - good point!

anna - hahaha! oh how I miss you...

Jamie said...

This reminds me of a girl I met at a party several years ago who I asked out after we all were a bit drunk. During the party, she literally chugged a beer. Fast. Underneath the fog of it all, I thought: "This probably is not someone who is a good match for me..." But I asked her out anyway, and she said yes. Then shortly before our date, she texted me to say she met someone special. In four days. Pretty impressive because I have met that someone special in three years here!

So, short lesson is, maybe some things happen for a reason...?

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

it takes two to tango? yeah i got nothing. haha

Ashley said...

jamie - wow, to know someone is 'special' in 4 days. must have been a match made in heaven.

alexa - ha!

matt - amen.