Friday, January 23, 2009

Big decisions

(This is how it feels, like being in the middle of a giant question mark.)

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best when it comes to making decisions. I'm often impulsive and have a tendency to be blind to anything other than the potential positive outcomes. getting all starry eyed about how this decision will improve everything in the future.

What can I say, I'm drawn to the new and shiny.

The real problems begin, however, once I start wrapping my head around the implications of the decision.

Given my nature as a planner, my instincts throw me into a constant need to research every option from all angles to make sure I get the most out of the decision. And of course, the benefits of choosing to stick with the status quo.

More times than not I believe that I'll be more disappointed by choosing not to take a new opportunity. Life's all about experiences, and looking back, I've always been happy I took opportunities as they came my way - impulsive or not - because of the experiences I gained and the people I met along the way.

Plus, it keeps things interesting...right?

I have to admit, I enjoy the stories that I'm able to tell about the places I've been and the experiences I've had already had in these short 24 years of my life, because I never say no.

Still, that doesn't make these decisions any easier, nor does it take away this feeling as if I might vomit. In the end, it'll work itself out somehow. It's got to, right? Right???

What's your strategy for making big decisions?

Cheers!

-A

5 comments:

Jennie said...

talking to you usually helps me out. And my parents and other friends. ALso, boozing to the point your loose your inhibitions so you can tell what you really want helps ;)

Ashley said...

jen - yeah, I definitely need to figure out what is most important to me. at least I've got time on my side...

Robert Stockham said...

As someone with nearly 20 years on you, let me tell you the decisions never really get any easier. What I can say is that in my life, rash decisions often leave me the least satisfied. Well thought out decisions are always the most rewarding-even if after looking at all the options I have chosen the one that defies all logic. Greatest risk=greatest reward, just know all the risks first and don't get blindsided. And get used to feeling nauseous.

Maxie said...

I'm horrible at big decisions. I just kind of choose and stick with it.

Ashley said...

Robert - i can always tell how big a decision is by how close I am to vomiting :-)

maxie - sticking with it is key.