Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Brick walls

The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're here to stop the other people.
...
Brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to show how badly we want something.


Right now I'm in the middle of a rather inspiring book. The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch. For those who haven't heard in it's rising popularity, it chronicles the life of a college professor who is asked to speak about his life as if he were dying - as if it was his last lecture.

Reality of the situation, is that it was, as Randy was dying of cancer at the time. How about that for some real-life inspiration?

As any inspirational book will, I found a concept that was instantly applied to my life. And I've gotta say, it's been kicking me in the ass ever since.

In one of his chapters, he discusses the challenges he faced when courting his wife. These challenges were his brick walls - and he worked hard to show those walls who was stronger. And succeeded. Proof is in his marriage and three children.

So I've been reflecting on the brick walls in my life, the challenges I've been working hard to overcome to prove just how much I desire the life I aspire to live.

Impulsiveness - since I've been a working girl, I've been of the mindset that if I want something I purchase it. Be it a trip to visit friends or a new camera lens. Debt has not overcome me yet - and I'm working now to make sure this doesn't happen.

Cynicism - sure, we all get bitchy from time to time, but, I'll admit, I've been known to bond with others over the negative rather than the positive. This is definitely a work in progress.

Impatience - I've said time and time again that I could never be a teacher because of this. But fact is, everyone is a teacher of some form in this life. And patience is one of the most important attributes of a successful teacher, mentor or supervisor.

Distractions - my 'ADD' leads to procrastination, which often leads to less-than-my-best work. As much as I say it, I don't actually work best under the pressure of a deadline, I just enjoy the adrenaline rush.

So tell me dear readers, what are your brick walls?

Cheers!

-A

8 comments:

Narm said...

I think any blogger can list "Distractions" as one of their big ones.

Jennie said...

I think you and I both know my biggest brick wall is. But its letting someone in as in trying to have an actual relationship with a member of the opposite sex that is more than platonic.

Matt said...

Is alcohol a brick wall?

Ashley said...

narm - most definitely.

jennie - very true. even the SO mentioned this about you a couple days ago..ha!

matt - i like to think of alcohol as a little assistant, helping you over the wall...maybe that's my problem?

So@24 said...

Patience? Oh Lordy, I have absolutely none.

With kids? Sure.

With women? Forgettaboutit

Ashley said...

so@24 - I tend to be the opposite, much more patient with men that I should be.

Britni said...

Mine are definitely just not being motivated enough to take care of myself. There are some things I know I have to do or I'll get in trouble (typically work things) but the other stuff, I just can't get myself to do.

Ashley said...

playful - sometimes I could really use someone to boss me around all the time, for that very reason.