Thursday, January 1, 2009

Friendly rivalry gone bad


As most of my friends and loyal readers know, I'm a big sports fan. And I'm especially passionate about my MSU Spartans as that's my alma mater.

You also may be aware that one of my qualms with living in this state has been the obnoxious OSU fans who assume, because I'm from the state of Michigan, I'm the devil.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good sports rivalry - taking jabs at my friends when we win, the occasional bet now and again, but for the most part, I'll befriend anyone, regardless of where their allegiances lie.

Well tonight, I ran into two of the most ignorant college supporters I've ever met

That's a big statement. Huge - given the fact I've run into my fair share of obnoxious sports fans throughout my Big 10 history.

As I was wandering the halls of my building, still in my Michigan State jersey (confident, even after our loss at the Capital One bowl today - hey, I'm no fair weather fan!) I ran into a girl in my building. 

She was quite lovely, actually. Mentioned that she too is from Michigan and she even offered her assistance with moving. Her friends on the other hand, frightened me a little - since we're being honest here.

The girl from Michigan is a U of M fan, which she mentioned in passing. The two others asserted themselves quickly, letting me know, in a most aggressive manner, that one was an Ohio State fan while the other pointed to her hooded sweatshirt with an embroidered Notre Dame logo and proceeded to pound on her chest with a tight fist.

"Notre Dame, yeah that's right!"

"Ohio State, here. Yeah! Just so you know how we roll." - followed by a nice little stare down.

Um, wow. Okay.

I'm sure I looked appalled and rather horrified. I was, and I'm not so great at hiding that on my face. The aggressors noticed, as they chuckled on their way down the hall, "did you see her face, ha!"

Clearly, I was by far the least dominant female in this situation (by about 40 pounds, at least).

If this hadn't have been the case, or even if there wouldn't have been three of them, I would have pointed out that they are friends with a U of M fan and there doesn't seem to be much of a problem. So what gives?

Aside from the time I got threatened by a Cavs fan in a bar bathroom during the 2007 playoffs- "If the Pistons win tonight I'm gonna be the first one to find you and kick your ass" - this was the most aggressive attack by fans of an opposing team.

C'mon people, we're all adults, let's grow up and get along in our friendly rivalries, shall we?

-A

p.s. On the positive side, I may have made a new friend in the building - if I can manage to separate her from the scary friends.

5 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

oh you could have taken her!!!!!

Narm said...

In an attempt to quit calling everyone "gay" my friends started using OSU fan as a put down.

"You see that loser?"

"Yeah, what an Ohio State fan!"

Not because we like other colleges - but because OSU fans are so obnoxious - and about 99% of the time never even went to OSU.

Ashley said...

alexa - oh how I wish.

narm - agreed. and it irks me to know they most likely didn't attend OSU. When they piss me off, I compare them to Michigan fans. Gets em every time!

Molly said...

on behalf of all OSU students/fans, I'd like to apologize for the obnoxious imbeciles that make up a large part of our population.

they know not what they do.

Ashley said...

molly - thank you.