Tuesday, December 9, 2008

When I grow up

...I want to be a chef.

Okay, so maybe not a chef, but definitely a foodie. Yeah, that's more like it.

Recent experiences with the foodie world have drawn me to this lifestyle. Being in NYC at Chelsea Market - surrounded by some of the best chefs and bakers all day, experiencing the best tasting food, touring the Food Network test kitchens, meeting celebrity chefs - I love everything about it.

Being in Cleveland, I'm always hoping for a chance to rub elbows with Michael Symon during a casual stroll down East 4th or swinging by Lolita in Tremont. One of these days, I will get that chance.

And no, that doesn't make me a stalker, thankyouverymuch. I'm just a paying customer who's in awe. I mean, anyone who has their servers wear Converse All Stars during their shifts has got to be pretty fantastic - and c'mon y'all, he can cook a mean meal.

There's just something about being integrated in the foodie world that's so attractive. The excitement of being in a kitchen watching edible masterpieces take shape, meeting world renowned chefs, learning techniques from the pros, promoting one of the best networks on television - The Food Network for those who didn't catch on - and of course the love and appreciation for food.

I've always wanted to be a pastry chef like Duff.

The problem is, I'm not the most creative girl, nor am I the most kitchen savvy but I can be taught, especially if I can get my hands dirty with the the players at Charm City Cakes or go on the road with Bobby for a throw down or head out with Michael on his next Dinner Impossible challenge. And words cannot begin to describe how much I'd love to be a fly on the wall for Iron Chef America or take part in one of the Food Network Challenges.

Or maybe I should just become a food photographer - that would get a foot in the door, right? Hell, I'd even be a personal assistant if it meant spending time with some of the best chefs in the world. Know of anyone in need? *wink wink*

Anyone else obsessed with The Food Network and life as a foodie? What do you want to be when you grow up?

Cheers!

-A

11 comments:

CC said...

I'm a sort of foodie! I think that whole culture is really interesting and fun. I'm sure you noticed when you were down here how obsessed with food, good food, Dallas people are. I've tasted so many things and visited so many fancy food shops while living here.

I think that would be a fun industry to work in! You could be a food "stylist" and help arrange for photo shoots and such.

Anonymous said...

I love good food and exploring the nooks and crannies for dallas hummus, savory souffles or a good brisket taco.

I would love to be a foodie!

Matt said...

I'll tell you what. You start baking and send it to me and I will tell you if it is any good or not.

That is a good offer.

Carmen said...

Duff is my new hero... especially after watching him drool over the Stanley Cup in an episode last night.

I mean he makes cake AND he likes hockey? Pretty much my dream boy.

Ashley said...

cc - I definitely miss the foodie experience in Dallas.

anna - there's so much goodness to experience in the Big D.

matt - i'm not good. i promise.

carmen - couldn't agree more - he's the perfect man.

Jennie said...

i love the food network haha. And all of my roommates have made fun of me for my love of throw down with Bobby Flay... maybe there is a marathon this weekend haha we can be dorks together

Ashley said...

jen - that sounds like a deal. And I could watch Ace of Cakes all day long.

Narm said...

Well there is one good thing about Cleveland - you can't complain about the restaurants in this area.

And the food photographer thing actually sounds like a really cool idea. Make some friends cook up some delicious meals and then try to get some funky pictures. What an amazing excuse to make your friends cook for you.

Donny Ruth said...

Cooking isn't a top priority in my life. I usually order about 5 pizzas on Sunday and just eat them throughout the week.

Warmest Regards,
-Donny

Susan said...

I act like a foodie, but at the end of the day, I don't really know how to cook as much as I thought. I wish I did!

Ashley said...

alexa - i love food too. and shut up, you're gorgeous!

narm - great restaurants are definitely a plus of Cleveland. I need to make it to the east side more where the selection is greater.

donnie - if I could eat pizza everyday I would.

susan - maybe I should try pretending...