Friday, December 12, 2008

Photography Friday: Pittsburgh


Welcome to Photography Friday, the Pittsburgh edition.

Last weekend's trip to Pittsburgh with the SO was a much needed break from the monotony of winter in the Cleve. Though, I have to say, the two cities are eerily similar - the atmosphere, the people.

The scenery though, that's where the Burgh has us beat. Between the hills, the rivers, and the architecture I was in heaven.

(Editors note: Recommendations on where to go in NE Ohio for good photo ops welcomed - I know I haven't exhausted the city yet, but I'm running out of ideas.)

On our first day there the skies were cooperative, letting the sun peak through at just the right times. We ventured up the incline from Station Square - so that we could grab a drink at Bar Louie and warm up shortly thereafter - to capture views of the city from Mount Washington.

The one at the top is most favored from that adventure.

Of all the pictures taken through the pain and ensuing numbness that my fingers endured to get some quality shots, this has got to be my favorite.

This was probably my third shot of the trip - waiting to head up the incline. Between the depth of field and natural sectioning I'm head over heals.

In fact, this may be the next print for my wall.

For now, I'm off to chilly Detroit for a girls weekend full of Christmas shopping and shenanigans with one of my college favorites. Do you have any exciting plans for the weekend?

Cheers!

-A

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love both of those photos you took but the second one is amazing. I would love a copy.

Ashley said...

suzanne - thanks, lady. And that can be arranged. e-mail me meadface88 (at) gmail and we'll make it happen!

So@24 said...

This just reminds me how much more of this country/world I have yet to see.

Susan said...

Those photos are amazing. I lived in Philly for 4 years and I never made it to Pittsburgh, I will have to fit that in to my travels.

Maxie said...

Mount Washington has the best restaurants! and that ride is amazing. Glad you had a good time :-)

Narm said...

The Flats have some old buildings and interesting areas to take pictures. Not to mention the bridges and the river. I live down here and try to get a few good shots with my Holga but they don't compare to your work. Love the second one.

Ashley said...

so@24 - agreed. If I could I would travel for a living...still working on that one.

susan - thanks! I LOVE Philly too. Pittsburgh was great, but I wish it wasn't so cold.

maxie - you were right, the food is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised about that.

narm - the flats, eh. I'll have to make my way down there - buildings, water and bridges are some of my favorites.

Ed Dale said...

If you want some interesting shots try the Lorain Avenue bridge tour. This is a quarterly, roughly, tour of the area under the bridge, where a trolley used to run.