Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I wish(ed) your wish

Last weekend on the trip to Pittsburgh, we stopped by Carnegie Mellon for a quick lunch and a visit to the Natural History Museum.

The SO was looking forward to the dinosaur exhibit - which I admit was pretty cool given that they had two T-rex skeletons - and my attention tended to gravitate toward the geology portion of the exhibit.

Yes, I'm that big of a geek. But give me a break, I didn't take "rocks for jocks" in college; astronomy was my science of choice.

But I digress.

There also was an exhibit called Life on Mars that we didn't explore much due to lack of time - oh, who am I kidding, and lack of interest too...I can only take so much learning in one vacation.

Part of this exhibit was the I Wish Your Wish wall.


The premise of this interactive exhibit is that visitors take a ribbon from the wall with an imprinted wish on it. Some of these wishes are in English, some are not - giving it an international flare.

These are wishes of visitors past. You take one that most applies to your life - or at least that you find meaningful. The SO and I found a blue ribbon wishing that our actions were not controlled by our fears. Deep. He ended up taking this one in the end. The wish I picked out for myself (on green ribbon, naturally) stated, "I wish I knew if it would all be worth it." Brilliant!

As legend has it, you tie the ribbon around your wrist - or any other part of your body, I suppose - and tie it in three knots, making a wish after each knot. Once the ribbon falls off (on it's own) your wishes will come true.

Then, and this is what I find pretty damn cool, you write down a new wish on a piece of paper and slide it in the hole where you took your ribbon from. These wishes are then printed and placed in the empty holes on the wall for others to read and take for themselves.

Here's the wish I put on the wall: "I wish that I could do it all over again."

What would your wish be?

Cheers!

-A

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I think my wish would be similar to the one your picked out, but more like "I wish I knew that what I did today would lead to the life I want to have someday" or the like I dunno it is a deep question for sure.

Ashley said...

jennie - yeah, this was pretty deep. what a great idea to get people engaged.