Monday, December 15, 2008

The Lunch Date: revisited

Detroit was amazing!

Or rather, the time spent with one of my favorites, wandering the streets of Royal Oak and consuming red wine was amazing. And much needed.

(Us back in our college days - this was the only picture I could find at the moment.)

I love those friends where, no matter how long it's been since you have physically seen one another you pick up right where you left off. She is this girl for me. And, we're scary similar sometimes. We are both so graceful, after all.

Sarcasm - if you didn't notice.

When I got in on Friday we went out for a late sushi dinner where we ran into Suton, who I thought would be the most interesting sighting of the evening. But oh was I wrong.

Dinner discussions tended to be in depth and analytical - mostly about boys and our careers. But who are we kidding here, career talk went out the door after the second glass of wine...

So about, oh I dunno, 30 seconds after she had finished telling me about a recent lunch date gone wrong, a visitor slides into the booth next to me.

Given that I didn't see this coming, nor did I know who this stranger was, I let out an audible yelp.

His ears must have been ringing, because it was Mr. Lunch Date himself, drunk as a skunk.

As he proceeded to beg us to come join his group at a bar down the street, I took the opportunity to size him up. Aside from the fact that I think she is way too good for him - though let's be honest, I think that about most men she dates...she's just so special, she deserves someone great - he was rather awkward.

Knowing that he is an engineer I might blame it on that - but the BFF is in the same line of work and he's completely capable of holding conversations in groups.

During our attempted discussion, it came out that I graduated from college a couple years before him. This seemed to take him by surprise. Upon my response to the "so how old are you" question, he says, very matter of factly:

"You look good for your age."

Yes, I'd like another glass of Syrah, please.

C'mon now, really? It was then that I realized just how much better she can do...

This wasn't the only interesting encounter of the weekend, however it may be the most memorable. How was your weekend?

Cheers!

-A

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I agree, I was laughing quite hard about your recap of Friday night and then filled with the warm fuzzies at the end... all mondays should have these best friend pump ups... makes the day much easier to get through ;)

Ashley said...

Jen - most definitely. I'll start putting that on my Monday to-dos :-)

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

oh dear lord. good for your age?!??! i would have smacked him.

don't do it jenn!

Ashley said...

alexa - the thought crossed my mind.

Matt said...

Even I know it's stupid to ask a girl her age.

Its a no win situation.

Ashley said...

matt - it wasn't so much the question, as the response.