Thursday, October 2, 2008

Puppy Love

Recently I've been thinking a lot about something that seems to be missing from my life - the unconditional love and affection from someone in your life who is always there for you when you need him most.

That's right. It's about time I commit myself to the man of my dreams: a dog.


Next summer I will be moving out of my apartment and will be looking for a place on my own. Between now and then I have a big decision to make - what kind of dog do I want to get?

My whole life I've been a lover of big dogs - labs, huskies, golden retrievers, love them all.

The BFF is getting a husky this fall, but with his house and decently sized yard the space is sufficient for a rather hyper breed.

I would love nothing more than to get a lab - they are big, smart, loving, and you don't have to worry about the long hair like you do with a retriever.

(Just look at that face)

But as a city dweller, it makes me nervous to have a dog of that size and keep him cooped up in an apartment all day - that's just not fair.

I'm looking for a little advice on this one - I don't want a tiny, yappy dog like a shitzu (that's just not my style), but I'd like a smart pup who's willing to cuddle up and watch some football, or go for long walks on the beach...yes, I am looking for a dog.

So tell me dear readers, what is your preferred breed of dog? Any recommendations for this 20-something single, city dwelling girl?

Cheers!

-A

7 comments:

Ben said...

Do I even have to tell you what my preferred breed is?

Probably not.

Dachshunds are smaller size, yes, but the greatest part is that they're gung ho when it comes to exercise but they don't get ridiculous when they don't get it. They'll hike in the park with you but the city living won't get them down the way it would a lab.

That being said, I love all pooches beyond all reason and I'm very excited for you :)

Maxie said...

aww so adorable.

my favorite is miniature collie, but that's just because I had one when I was little. She was so sweet. I'm just a sucker for anything that will snuggle with me.

Jennie said...

as an owner of a beloved Shih Tzu... they are not nearly as prissy as their reputation says. Gracie loves snuggling and lots of personal attention and is content sleeping all day when you are at work. I am still not a fan of Bichon Frises or some of the other little ones... but should you want to change your mind about the tiny pups and spend some time with Gracie let me know :)

Cam said...

Yay a dog! I adore dogs and am so jealous that you're getting one! I like larger breeds too.

You're not going to believe this, but I recommend a rottweiler. It was our first dog growing up and they are by far the sweetest, most loyal, and most obedient dogs I've ever encountered.

Everyone is so scared of them, but they're only vicious if you train them to be that way. Get a female, and make sure it's well bred (not a good idea to do a rescue dog situation for a rottweiler cause you never know how they were bred or trained) and make sure to take her to obedience school and she'll be the best dog you'll have, I promise!

Anonymous said...

That picture is adorable. I highly recommend a pug.

Britni said...

I grew up with all bigs dogs but recently fell in love with little ones. My newest favorite breed is a puggle. So cute.

Ashley said...

ben - Of course I knew what you would recommend, and that is a breed I'm strongly considering.

maxie - I never had a dog growing up, which might explain my urgent need to have one.

jennie - I was by no means bashing Shih Tzu's (which I completely slaughtered the spelling of apparently) and when I'm visiting next I'd love to spend some time with Gracie.

cc - Rotts are great dogs. My cousin has one and she's the sweetest dog. I wish I had room for a big dog right now

transienttravels - that was my brother's recommendation too, I might just let him get one - they snore...

playful - puggles can be super cute!