Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Country girl in the city

Well I made it - hello NYC!

Today was beautiful as I got a chance to settle in, peruse Manhattan and check out the space where I'll be spending the next 10 days - it's beautiful and full of wonderful food vendors, I must admit.

Though it was pretty obvious that I was an out-of-towner. As hard as I tried to fit in with my jeans, tailored jacket and ballet flats, I managed to scream 'tourist' as I wandered the city taking pictures of everything. And with my usual Midwestern flair I continued to smile, say hello and apologize to everyone who bumped into me. I have blisters on my feet and a beat down look on my face to prove it.

Even one of my vendors noticed. But I like the way he describes the attitude of New Yorkers, "it's not so much rude as people are just busy - to the point without all the chit chat."

I get it, and can respect it. Though I'll never get used to it.

So far so good though. I'm looking forward to the next 9 days with colleagues and clients, celebrating with food and drinks in this amazing city. And while I'm away you'll be graced with the presence of some much better bloggers than I who have graciously volunteered to fill in.

But of course, when I return there will be plenty of encounters to discuss and pictures to share. NYC has already provided some rather interesting moments. What crazy NYC experiences do y'all have?

Cheers!

-A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read about your trip when you return.

I'm from Boston (another "busy" city) and my friends and I recently spent the weekend in Maine. When our hotel phone rang it startled us, we stared at it like it had become alive until finally my one friend answered it. We stared at her in horrid to see what the person on the other end had to say...

They said, we just wanted to welcome you.

Man- it is sad that good hearted manners can seem so abrupt :)

Melissa Leeanne said...

I've spent most of my life in smaller towns where trips to the market or even walking down the street one runs into friends, family, or work contacts. I've been dreaming of moving to the big city, but am curious how I'd really do without the community feeling I've had so much of my life... It's always interesting to see how others fair!

Ashley said...

transienttravels - I can't wait to post all about it. It's only day 3 and there's already so much that has happened!

melissa - it's strange to be in a city where we are all strangers, but it's not as terrible as it sounds.