Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A freedom we take for granted

Given that it's Election Day, I thought it appropriate to discuss an American freedom that's near and dear to my heart. It's called the right to free speech.

Shocker, right? I'm pretty sure I'd die without the ability to talk just for the sake of hearing my own voice.

But it's also something that I and a lot of other people take for granted. We get online each day with the ability to log in to Blogger and publish our opinions on the interwebs for all to see, judge and comment on.

What would we do without this luxury, without the ability to converse freely with one another, share our thoughts, ideas and experiences as 20-somethings - we would be lost, that's what.

It's a fantastic thing, this freedom of speech. And that's why it irritates me to no end that someone is trying to take this away from me.

*GASP*

It has recently come to my attention that there are some un-fans following me and reading posts regularly. At first I was flattered to see these IP addresses coming back continuously - that is, until the face emerged to let me know of his/her disapproval. Not so much of my opinions, but rather, of me!

*DOUBLE GASP*


I know, right? Who couldn't like me?!

Lots of people I'm sure.

But I grew up being taught by my wonderful family that not everyone is going to like you - and I'm okay with that!

What I'm not okay with, is being told what to write and what not to write. Sorry folks, but last I checked this was my blog, full of my opinions (stupid as they may be at times) and my experiences. No one is strapping you to a chair, taping your eyelids open and forcing you to read - or maybe they are, but that's not my problem - so feel free to spend your time reading other blogs that are more tailored to your style. I promise, I won't be offended.

And because it's election day and I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy about the U.S. of A, I'm going to hold on tight to my freedom of speech and continue to write for the readers who love me most! And I'll continue to show them the love they deserve, with links and shout outs like this. And this. Oh yeah, and this.

I heart you guys! *tear*

Oh, and if you haven't already - get to the polls today. I'm not much for talking politics, but this is an important election and we all have a voice.

kthanksbye

Cheers!

-A

And we can't forget to wish the wonderful Maxie a happy birthday. Don't work too hard today, lady!

6 comments:

So@24 said...

Maxie's bday!?

Holy mother. What a great day to be born!

She is celebrating her ass off tonight

Matt said...

How do you know I dont read this blog because I am a stalker?

hmm?

okokok...I'm not.

but I could be...

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

how could you not love you! double gasp is right!!!

Maxie said...

thanks for the shoutout!!!

and I'm with alexa... what is there not to like?!

Ashley said...

so@24 - let's hope so!

matt - stalk away ;-)

alexa - thanks, lady! It blew my mind too!!

maxie - anytime!

Christian Holm said...

Free Speech might be going away... just FYI :D