Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fork in the Road

No, not this one. Though we do love CC. In fact, I owe her some love for awarding me yet again with this lovely award which states:

"This blog invests and believes in proximity" (meaning, that blogging makes us 'close'-being close through proxy). These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbon of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers! Deliver this award to 8 bloggers and include this text.

So I'm passing it along to the lovely Cleveland bloggers listed below as they are the greatest and I had the most fantastic time with them last week!

Narm @ White-Collar Redneck
Alexa @ Cleveland's a Plum
Ashley @ Our Little Apartment
Teets @ Yes, I'm Judging You
Always a Bridesmaid @ 27 Dresses in Cleveland
Allison @ Confessions of a Cohabitant
Suzanne @ Life on Mars
Mel @ Life, Liberty &Pursuit of Your Boyfriend

If you're not reading these blogs, you should. They're much better than mine.

But now, onto the actual crossroads - the one I'm facing at the moment...

As you may have gathered, I have a dilemma. One that will cause me to make a very big decision in the near-ish future.

What is it? Well my friends, we'll save that for outside of the blogosphere.

I know. I suck.

But the bigger problem here is that I'm unsure of how to approach this decision. It's one that has the potential to affect numerous individuals aside from myself.

This stresses me out - decisions only affecting me, positively or negatively, I can handle. Because if when I mess it all up I'm the only one who has to deal with those consequences. But the last thing I want to do is make a decision where others are left to pick up the pieces of a not so great situation.

Ack.

Needless to say, I'm struggling with where to begin on this one. Do I make a pros and cons list - is that even appropriate for making a real adult decision? Or, do I employ a 3rd party to hash out the details from an objective perspective?

Ultimately it's up to me, and I know this...I just need to figure out where to start. So tell me dear readers, what is your process for making big, life altering decisions? Guidance appreciated.

Cheers!

-A

11 comments:

Narm said...

Hell I knew what my comment would be when I read your Twitter -

BOOZE.

I'm an adult.

Thanks for the award!

Anonymous said...

I like the pros and cons list - it helps put the situation in perspective if nothing else. You can still choose the path you want, even if it has more cons than pros. At least at that point you have a clear idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Without knowing much more about the topic, I'd say, start with pros and cons, talk it over with your best friends (just to get it out into the room) and then make a decision.

I agree that tough decisions suck though. And sometimes it's years before you realize that you made the right one.

;)

Jourdan said...

I'd love to have something really witty for this post, but I'm feeling the exact same way right now...I could potentially be letting down one of my oldest friends for a newer venture. It's killing me! I wonder what your decision is...post an update when you make your decision, maybe it will help me make mine! ;)

Bill Teets said...

I read it and immediately had a suggestion, then saw Narm had the same idea.

Think of it this way: a child's mind is the purest, most simple form and has the greatest capacity for learning. So reduce your brain to that of a child and start drinking!

Jennie said...

i have a feeling I might know what this is concerning... and I'd love to be the friend that you turn to to hash all the details out... if nothing else but to be a sounding board for you. And yes like narm and bill teets suggested... a bottle of wine, or 2, while the hashing happens is an excellent idea. Intoxication provides great clarity in these situations.

Matt said...

Narm is right.

Booze it up!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

if i was you i would call me and we would go drink wine and chat.

ha.

but seriously, i talk everything through with my friends.

i'm also a big fan of going with my first initial gut feeling. it's usually right.

Unknown said...

My advice, do whatever makes you live closer to me. ;-)

That is if I ever make it out of this damn country and back to the US.

ANG* said...

lists help with everything. that and booze. those cleveland kids are right...

Melinda said...

Thanks for the blog award!

Unfortunately, I am also struggling with my own decision-making process.

Which leads me to becoming so stressed that I make *no* decision.

And then, as do Narm and Teets and Matt, I drink. And worry about it another day.

Cheers!

Ashley said...

narm - That is always a great adult decision.

inspiredcopycom - I've always been a fan of the list - maybe I'll make it while drinking...

jourdan - unfortunately, it may never be a topic for the blogosphere...

bill - this is starting to sound like a great idea.

jennie - hopefully a weekend in the D with you will help...

matt - cheers!

alexa - I may just take you up on that offer

joe - sounds like a great idea. when you're back in the states at least I can bounce ideas off you easier.

ang - we clevelanders know what we're doing....

mel - that's exactly where I am right now, I just need something to get the ball rolling in some direction.