Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A running story


For those of you who have known me for years, you've probably heard this story.

It's something that people inquire about - especially those who do not partake in this activity themselves.

This is the story of how I became a runner.

I get asked a lot if I ran cross country in high school. Negative. I hated running in high school. Freshman year track was torture but growing up with a father who was a high school all star in basketball, football, and track I didn't want to let him down by quitting (even though as the greatest father in the world he still would have been proud).

So I attempted to be a sprinter - because distance was oh-so out of the question - and sucked at it - terribly. Someone should have told me that the short legs that prevented me from being a decent basketball player also hindered my speed on the track.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Thankfully, good genes meant I didn't have to work too hard to stay slim. (Thanks, mom and dad). That is, until college.

My first week in the dorms included chips, soda, candy, beer, and pizza from every place in EL that would deliver. I gained 7 pounds in one week.

SEVEN pounds.

I'm just over 5 feet tall - that's a LOT of weight for one week.

An article like this really would have helped a girl out...

So I decided to take action and start working out, at the gym, for the first time in my life.

it. was. painful.

And for some reason, the treadmill seemed like my only option. But I kept at it, through the long winter, and when the weather turned nice in the spring I hit the running trails. Just like that, addiction.

I joined the running club, started racing, endured foot and back injuries along the way, and am still at it. I'll admit, I've taken time off out of pure laziness - but as I've said before, I run so I can eat, so I always come crawling back.

Watch out, because one day that fat kid inside of me may just get out and steal your cookie.

So tell me dear readers, how did you get into your most cherished hobbies?

Cheers!

-A

5 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i started my blog (my most cherish hobby) on a dare from one of my best friends.

who would have thought i would have stuck with it!

Maxie said...

I guess blogging is by biggest hobby and I started doing that on a total whim. I'm so glad I started :-)

Britni said...

I don't know but you may have just convinced me to try running again because I really need to eat. A lot.

Ashley said...

alexa - what a great dare. it's turned you into a cleveland celeb!

maxie - I started my blogging that way too, though I'm better at running than being entertaining.

playful - glad I could be some inspiration. Deep down, it's really all about the food.

Anonymous said...

This is a good piece of work. I really like it. Outstanding post! Keep up the good work.
Visit http://www.cleaningsuppliesoutlet.com/