Thursday, September 4, 2008

'Find out what it means to me'

In this crazy, mixed up world of ours, it seems as though we are losing a quality that [to me] is one of the most important of them all: respect.

Respect for ourselves, respect for our environment, and respect for others.

Why is it, that more than ever, people in this society seem to be so consumed with themselves that they disregard their fellow man and his surroundings?

Of course, I have a number of theories on this (would you expect any less, dear readers?), spanning from how our generation was raised to be independent - think about our schooling and careers first - before adding others to the picture, to the way that being online each and every day is corrupting the way we behave face to face with one another, creating a highly connected society that is more lonely than we've ever been, allowing us to lose all sight of what it means to have respect for anyone or anything aside from ourselves.

But this isn't about me - it's about the billions of other people walking the planet.

Isn't it possible to love yourself and treat those around you with the same amount of respect that you expect in return? I like to think so.

Respect for the time, space, and ideas of other living beings and the world around us. It's the little things in life that really make a difference. Because in the end, if you don't respect the people in your life, how can they, in turn, trust you - and vice versa.

The moral of the story - have a little respect, for everyone and everything. You don't always have to agree be in agreement with the thoughts and actions of others, but making an effort to accept others for who they are and what they stand for can make all the difference.

How we've gotten so far off track - beats me, I'm just a 20-something blogger hoping to find my way.

Cheers!

-A

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So good......

Narm said...

People can't hang up their cell phones long enough to have respect for others. I have yet to decide if the cell phone is the greatest or worst invention in our time.

Rachel Eden said...

You are so right, this is what it really comes down to. I just wrote on someone else's blog the same thing but I am tired of this lack of respect. If I say peace I am labeled a terrorist sympathizer. If anyone says protect out environment they are dumb environmentalists that care nothing of oil independence. It's so easy to pass something off onto someone else, into someone else's back yard as long as it's not your own.

B said...

I couldn't agree more

So@24 said...

You aren't going to tell this where this post stemmed from??

Ashley said...

gooooood girl - thanks. This is something I'm really passionate about. How can you call yourself a decent human being if you have no respect for others?

narm - the cell phone, that's a good one. It definitely makes people less respectful drivers!

rachel eden - agreed! It comes down to being selfish. People only want to think about themselves. 'If it doesn't affect me, what do I care?' But in the end, what is life without a healthy environment and solid relationships with the people in it?

deutlich - glad to hear it!

so@24 - from two places: 1)deep down it's something I'm extremely passionate about, and something I witness all the time. 2)A string of recent interactions with someone I considered a friend - which helped me put my feelings on the subject into words, otherwise, I'd just be bitching.

Cam said...

I completely agree with you. I'm so sick of the lack of respect and the utter disregard for other people that I witness everyday. It truly makes my heart sad and sometimes makes me really angry. What gives you the right to walk all over people just so you are happy?
I really don't understand...maybe we were just raised differently......