Monday, September 15, 2008

The easy way out

(They may be lazy, but at least they're doing it together)

I have an opinion – shocker, I know.


This is something I’ve eluded to before in tweets and posts (that unfortunately, I can’t seem to locate right now).


The world around us today is making it easier and easier to get results without hard work or taking risks.


In today’s society, we don’t have to interact face to face with one another to get things done, heck, we don’t even have to speak to start dating (thanks, eHarmony). Text messaging makes it easier to flirt with and even ask people out without fear of staring rejection in the face. Diet pills are making us lazy, and video games are making our children lazy.

Of course, we can't forget about the Internet. Oh the interwebs, with your glorious tubes of information, how you help us so, and yet, your evil side lurks closely under the surface, waiting for the next, easy pray.


These conveniences are making us softer human beings. Why? Mostly due to perceived increased connectivity from online groups and social networks that ultimately lead to an increase in isolation and loneliness. Not to mention the fact that face to face conversations are becoming obsolete and communication skills (such as eye contact and forming complete, coherent sentences) are faltering.


I’ll be the first to admit that it’s easy to fall prey to the dark side of social networking. I get wrapped up in talking with my blogger buddies, Facebooking high school and college friends – sometimes, that’s the only way to stay in touch – and tweeting with fellow professionals. Between Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, del.icio.us, Skype, Linkedin, YouTube, Friendfeed, flickr…it’s no wonder our generation is connecting online more than ever.


Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful each and every day for all the wonderful, talented bloggers I’ve met through online groups, but I’m also looking forward to the day when I can meet you in person – especially those for whom I have some serious blogger crushes. What can I say, I you all, with all your talent and your charm. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!


I also think it’s something that we need to make an effort to do more frequently, think tweetups and regional blogger gatherings, follow through with those planned events with friends and colleagues.


Needless to say, it has become a personal goal of mine to step away from the screens (computer, cell phone) and interact on a personal level whenever possible. I continue to look forward to the day when I get to meet my colleagues from around the world that I’ve only spoken to via phone and e-mail, and my fellow 20-something bloggers who validate my opinions every day – which I must admit helps make me feel a little less alone in this world - *sniff sniff* thanks guys!


But I want to hear what you think – are modern conveniences making us lazy, or are they challenging us to employ our willpower, resist temptation for greed and gluttony, and grab the virtual bull by the horns and make something of ourselves? Regardless, I like me a good challenge!


Cheers!


-A


8 comments:

Ben said...

Why is it that I can get more of my friends to join a Facebook group than to go out for coffee?

WHY?

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i think this post is extremely relevant to our generation right now.

if i didn't have so many friend who weren't "linked in" i probably would never leave my laptop.

the above statement was a joke. because as much as i enjoy my online friends 95% of them can give you a huge when you are down or cheers you when you are celebrating.

make an effort to be offline : )

P said...

the internet has definitely made me lazier, but it's also opened up my eyes to a lot of people and experiences i wouldn't have encountered otherwise. which can only be a good thing really!

Anonymous said...

I like the post, A. It got me thinking as to how I asked out my crushes when I was younger (prior to txt'ing and the AIM craze) compared to how kids today ask out their crushes with endless technology at their fingertips. Obviously it's meaningless at a young age, but is sending a text today any less personal than our generation's tactic of sending a note that said "will you go out with me? circle yes or no."

Hopefully, with our maturity comes the sanity to put down the Blackberry and take care of personal moments on a more personal level. The internet is fun, and definitely expands our circle, but nothing beats talking face to face.

Dolce said...

I very much agree with you, however I find myself an anomoly among my close friends. Much to my own surprise, the do not have FB, LinkedIn, or MySpace accounts, but we text, e-mail, and call more than we see each other.

However, I have worked with clients who have not wanted to meet because of the convenience of the internet. It's bewildering how much change has occurred in society because of e-mail, cell phones, and social internet sites.

Ashley said...

ben - that's exactly what I'm talking about!

alexa - it's all about actual human contact. Friendships, family, romance - for me, online just doesn't cut it.

paula - agreed. I'm by no means bashing the Internet because where would I be without my online connections, without y'all there for virtual support.

michael - yes! The modern version of circle yes or no. Text flirting - it's an easy way to know if someone is interested without risking a bruised ego. I make it a point to only go out with men who at least have the guts to pick up the phone and call. Maybe that explains my single status?

dolce - it's true. Many of my clients would rather have a conference call or webinar to save time and money - but I think it has to potential to take away from productivity, not to mention the experience of meeting new people. That's really what it's all about for me!

Cam said...

I agree and disagree. I agree in the fact that it is easier (ie: laziness) to avoid confrontation, to flirt, to keep in touch but I think that also our generation is lucky in that we have the ability to meet and communicate with people in other parts of the country and from around the world that we'd never get the chance to interact with otherwise.

I think this is SO important because it helps us shed the sterotypes or negative opinions we have of people from certain countries and view each other as people just like ourselves and as nothing more and nothing less.

So yes, in our local, personal lives, we need to drop the laziness. I'm ready to get back to face to face interaction. I'd LOVE to receive an old fashioned letter or card from old friends instead of a text.
But for our around the country/world friendships, I'm grateful for the opportunities technology allows us because otherwise I never would've "met" you! :)

Here's hoping to a face-to-face meeting one day!!

Ashley said...

cc - you make a very good point. I too am thankful to have had the opportunity to have "met" so many wonderful bloggers from around the world. My life certainly would not be complete without my amazing group of online friends, all of whom I hope to meet face-to-face in the future! Can you say annual Dallas trip? :-)