Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sleep is underrated


Seriously underrated.

When I was a Dallasite and, let's just be honest here, my personal life borderline sucked, I would get a full eight hours every night - after a solid workout and a couple chapters from a good book.

Sounds nice, right? Well after the 80th consecutive day it gets a little monotonous, trust me.

This is so not the point.

Lately sleep has taken a back seat in my life. Between work, running, skydiving, spending time with the SO, NHL playoffs (which are WAY more important than the NBA playoffs, in my book) and trying to keep up with chores at home, there isn't enough time to get even 6 hours, let alone a full eight.

This week it caught up with me as I passed out in the middle of a DVR'd episode of Gossip Girl, face down on the arm rest of the couch, at which point the SO carried my sorry ass to bed and recaptured the remote to fill his weekly 24 fix.

Looks like I just revealed another guilty pleasure of mine. Oh shut it. You like Gossip Girl too, just admit it!

Then last night, I made plans to head to the gym and wrap up some chores that I've been slacking on all week. I was determined! That is, until I ate a pre-run bagel that put me into a near coma on the couch - only to realize what happened when I awoke to a phone call two hours later.

Needless to say my apartment is still a disaster and my thighs aren't getting any smaller on this carbo-load / nap combination. But I do have to admit that the sleep was needed and I felt pretty amazing after. And I was able to knock out a few chores post-nap so all was not lost.

But I got to thinking this morning, as I got out of bed feeling more refreshed than I have in weeks, this whole sleep thing is way underrated.

I've always stuck to the belief that I'm a bad napper - once I drift off to dreamland it's over, I'm dead to the world for hours. Power naps have never been my specialty, and I've never been good at waking up.

This is something that can be learned, right?

I mean, all it takes is a good nap and I'm rejuvenated and ready to kick some ass - figuratively, of course. Any of y'all who know me in real life are well aware that I'm not kicking anyones ass, ever.

So maybe, instead of giving the SO a bunch of crap the next time he suggests a power nap, I should shut up and surrender to the blissful sleep that's calling my name. After all, a little nap never hurt anyone, right?

6 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

confession: i have never single a single episode of gossip girl

and you are 100% right, sleep is underrated

Allison M. said...

i love gossip girl because it is so utterly unrealistic.
I'm not a napper - at all. I feel like it's wasting time.

Anonymous said...

I took a two hour nap today and woke up all glowy and refreshed. I cannot power nap to save my life but sleep is always good no matter how you take it!

Bill Teets said...

sleeping is for winters...

Susan said...

I never sleep in or take naps and this weekend I slept in until 11 on Saturday and then took a nap today- it's because I missed out on so much sleep during the week. It really does all catch up.

Ashley said...

alexa - I DVR it every week just in case I want to watch it again...

allison - it really is. If only NYC was really all puppies and kittens.

emily - agreed. even if it's unplanned and sets you behind, at least it's refreshing.

bill - winter is definitely when I get the most sleep.

susan - good for you, lady!