Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's already a quarter over!



My life, that is.

This week I turn 25. Ugh, just looking at that statement makes me throw up in my mouth a little. What the hell happened to "the best years of my life" or whatever?

Rather than dwell on the fact that I'm now an adult - with the ability to rent a car at standard pricing - I've decided to make some changes and set some goals for myself along the way.

Sort of like New Year's Resolutions for the 25th year of life, if you will. I'll be damned if the quarter-life crisis is going to overtake this girl. *insert double thumb point in my direction*



It's time now to take a look at the direction I'm heading and make the necessary alterations. After all, I really only have 5 more good years in me before things stop functioning properly.

Hello adult diapers!

I kid, I kid.

But by the time 30 hits I'd like to have accomplished a lot and be well on my way to having the life I've always dreamed.

Like, for instance, focusing my attention on the people in my life. I've spent the majority of the last three years focusing solely on my career - and the four years before that on getting a career, and the four years before that getting into school so I can get a career...you get the point.

Now, with the addition of the SO and his wonderful family, planned trips with the old college crew, my brother getting married to the love of his life, and my beyond supportive friends and family who have seen me through moves across the country and back - and are still in my life, mind you - it's about time I threw a little of my positive energy in their direction.

The older I get the more I realize just how important the people who support you are to your success. It's true that I'm not going to be lying on my death bed wishing I spent more time working. Thank heaven for my employers encouragement of a work/life balance.

Here are a few other goals I intend to accomplish in my 25th year of life:

1) Run a 1/2 marathon. I've been saying it for the last few years and have been hindered by injuries every time. I think I've got the training figured out - now it's time to follow through. Chicago, here I come!


2) Get my skydiving license. I'm going for my A by the end of the summer. Then I can jump anywhere I travel. Maybe my B license by 26?

(I dream of one day being on a team like this)

3) Take on a new challenge at work. I need something to get me out of my comfort zone, that's where I grow the most. I will find this project.

4) Get my finances in order. Lately, I've been a whole lot of talk and not a lot of action on this front. And with my rather expensive hobbies saving hasn't been easy. To be out of debt and living comfortably by 26 is the goal.


5) Read a book every month. This might be a long shot, but I really want to get back into my reading habit. 

6) Focus on my health. This is the time to get and stay healthy. It won't always be this easy.
 

I'm sure there are more, but that's a good start, and I've got a couple more days to lay out all these goals.

So tell me dear readers, what are some of your goals for the next year?

Cheers!

-A

4 comments:

Maxie said...

I just want to be happy... genuinely happy.

Happy early Birthday :-)

Ashley said...

maxie - that's a great goal! And thanks!!

alexa - thanks, lady!

Britni said...

I think these are all great goals and doable. Good luck!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

Happy 25th!!! 25 was really hard for me. It all goes by too quickly. But, it looks like you have some awesome goals. Best wishes reaching them all! :)