Tuesday, May 12, 2009

In need of a change



There are two types of people in this world:

1) The ones who fear change and,
2) The ones who embrace it.

I fall into the latter category. Not only do I embrace change, I thrive on it. 

In fact, without frequent change I get bored and uninspired and restless. So for me, change is more of a need than anything else.

Yep, change is an addiction.

Is there some sort of support group for this? Probably not, eh? With people like me we'd get bored with those supporters way too quickly.

Anywhosits.....I've found that with regular change, I tend to operate at optimal performance levels.

Why this is has remained a mystery to me, but the more frequent change occurs the happier I am. And the larger the change, the more productive I am.

Stupid, right? Maybe it's this constant need to adapt new technologies that my generation feels that's driving my desire for something different every day. It's a good thing I'm in marketing - we're always up to something new every day.

Even still, it's not enough. I've found that I seek out opportunities for change - from small things like new workouts that are bound to encourage soreness the next day to more substantial changes like moving across the country. 

For the last two years I've lived and worked within a 5 mile radius. Just reading over that sentence makes me shudder a little. You might as well have told me I've been locked in a padded room - it's essentially the same for this adventure-driven girl.

I've settled for minor changes like becoming a brunette and slowly blonding (yes, that's a word, I just made it one) back again, picking up new hobbies like rock cli
mbing and skydiving, eating at new restaurants every chance I get (lucky for me the Cleve is filled with awesome restaurants), and even dabbling in the cooking arena myself.

But lately I've been in a rut and I'm starting to feel the change itch coming on.

This is where you come in. I need HELP. Desperately. 

How do I fulfill this need for change without doing something drastic?

So tell me dear readers, how do you satisfy your need for change? What have you done differently that you've enjoyed?

Cheers!

-A

p.s. As promised - here's my value add for the day. Inspired by one of my favorites, Anna's daily read, Pearls Before Swine.




8 comments:

Matt said...

When I need a change I usually find something to get into and obsess over it.

Like right now, I am planning on running a marathon in 4 months so my days are spent googling every small detail about marathons and training.

Narm said...

I'm more of an internal challenge kind of guy. I don't necessarily need the outside world to change or challenge me - make a list of things you would never do or have always wanted to do and then start crossing them off.

Or hang out with people who you don't share much in common. I always find that satisfying and challenging.

Unknown said...

Get some tattooing going on. That's my favorite thing to change.

Miss Merry said...

OOOHHH ME TOO, I totally NEED change. Obviously for me, when I crave change I pick up and move to a new city where I don't have a job proven by both my move to Dallas and then Chicago -- its sort of fun, you should try it! Stressful, but fun!

If that's too much, I'd say book a random vacay that will be a complete change of scene from your everyday.

Anonymous said...

My day just went from a five to a ten. :)

Ashley said...

matt - obsessing is my middle name!

narm - ooh, you got my attention with the list idea.

jason - for a while that was my "little change," but for the sake of my career I'm not going to take that up again.

miss merry - i'm all about moving across the country, but that's just not financially possible right now...boo!

anna - YAY!

Unknown said...

Fair enough. It is obviously easier for a guy who can just wear long sleeves that cover them up to work. There are also more places to put the ink on the male body.

Britni said...

No idea, I've got this addiction too. I can't seem to stay entertained long enough with anything so I change jobs, change apartments, change clothes, etc. Good luck.