Monday, May 4, 2009

Hard work? What's that?


This morning on the way into work I was listening to what is typically a mind-numbing morning show that forces me to turn to my CD player in disgust and listen to REMs Greatest Hits, again.

For some reason, I continue giving these Cleveland morning shows a chance - after Bob and Tom got replaced by Rover my morning commute just hasn't been the same...or nearly as funny. Regardless, today's show did more than make me feel dumber for listening, and I'm glad I tuned in.

The hosts were discussing a recent issue they had with management regarding the cancellation of an anticipated event and the ensuing action that was taken to resolve this issue.

What happened, you ask? Well, I'm getting there - hold your horses.

That's the first time I've ever written out that statement, and now I'm not so sure I understand...

Rather than resting on his laurels, like most people might expect a morning show host to do, he took action, used his brain, came up with some ideas, presented them to management and BOOM, they're back in business; event un-cancelled.

With a little hard work, brain power and creativity they came up with a solution that benefited everyone.

So, what's the point?

Well, most who are reading this right now probably don't get what the big deal is because y'all are hard-working professionals who bust ass everyday to complete work that you're proud of and to have a flourishing career...or maybe just to pay the bills, whatever.

But there are so many people out there who aren't willing to put in that kind of effort, who will do just about anything to avoid doing real work. We'll call this type Lazy Man (LM).

With news like this, the LM would have said, "oh well, that's just the way it is." Or even worse, would have been happy because now he doesn't have to put in the work to pull off an event.

People like this piss me off.

I've encountered too many of them in my short career so far. LM pawns off the hard work, or comes to a roadblock and says that it just can't be done. And this happens at every level, too. From the receptionists and administrative assistants, to interns and entry level employees, all the way up the food chain to the executives.

What gets me the most is when people are not terminated because of this. Laziness is not in your job description, people!

Though I've found that the interns and entry level folks who do this don't last long - at least not in my industry. But that's not the point, now is it?

There are just too many good people out there looking for work, especially in these times, for people to be able to get away with hard work avoidance. The market is flooded with smart, hard-working individuals who are willing to bust their booties for a company - at way less than market value, I'm sure - and yet the LMs of the world are still employed.

WHY?!

So as much crap as I give these morning-show hosts about the daily mind-numbing topics they often discuss, at least they're working hard to keep their careers afloat. And in looking at it, with all the lazy, unthinking people out there, the content of these morning shows caters perfectly to the general public.

All I have to say is this - no one is going to do it for you, people. It's time to get off your ass and take your career into you own hands. For those who don't really care about this path, please, I'm begging you, at least do something to benefit the rest of us. No one likes a waste of space - especially in the office.

Stepping down from my soap box....now.

Thank you.

-A

3 comments:

Matt said...

I show up to work everyday... thats got to count for something, right! I'm not a LM, right?

Susan said...

you speak the truth

Ashley said...

narm - in truth, I probably should have said lazy woman. There have been more of those in my life to date.

matt - of course you're not, Matt.

susan - amen!