Monday, March 23, 2009

More of the good stuff


It's Monday again, can you believe it? Where did the weekend go?

Oh, that's right. I spent mine in a car.

Given that Christmas was the last time I visited my parents in Michigan, I forgot how draining these quick trips can be. And this time was even quicker than usual.

Leaving on Saturday morning really puts a dent in the amount of quality time with the fam. But what can I say, yoga was calling my name and knowing that I've gotta be ready for beach wear in less than a week, I really couldn't deny this need.

After arriving home I had just enough time to chat with the 'rents before heading out again to get my hair did. Oh and in case you care I'm a blonde again...whew! I definitely feel more like myself.

And after my appointment I decided to do a little more cruise shopping - I was already in the mall, after all.

Speaking of spending, I really need to get my budget in order after this vacation. Know of any good financial advisers?

Anyhow, lucky for me by the time I got back, a vegetarian pizza from my favorite joint back home - Deluca's - was waiting for me on the table.

Well, there goes the yoga class....but it was definitely well worth it. Yumm...

But the heavy dough put me to bed early. And in an effort not to miss my Spartans beat down on USC yesterday evening, I left Michigan earlier than anticipated. Sorry Mom and Dad. I promise to come back soon!

But in the meantime, I thought it would be fun to make some additions to my list of The Good Stuff that I started earlier this month. Because, let's be honest here, there's lost of good stuff out there.

  • Shirts straight out of the dryer. No matter how warm it is outside, donning a freshly dried hoodie always feels amazing. And it smells great too!
  • Trips on the company dime. This stems from my recent week spent in NYC. I love visiting that city. But it's expensive. So traveling there for work is always welcome as I get to stay for free. Sure, I spend the majority of the time working, but those little moments of downtime make it all worth it.
  • When a Barista learns your order. I love the Starbucks in my building. More than that, I love the fact that two of the Baristas know what I'm going to order. It definitely makes you feel like a valued customer.
  • An unexpected March Madness upset. Even when I didn't call it in my bracket, this is great to see. Like Cleveland State beating out Wake on Friday. Or Siena almost beating Louisville. And we all remember George Mason's run to the Final Four 3 years ago. Gotta love a great underdog victory!
  • Being a regular. Whether it's a bar, restaurant or even a store, being a regular somewhere has it's perks. You know there's always something you're going to like, you can bring friends and family to share in the experience and it never gets old, and sometimes even discounts are involved...just because they know you.
  • Perfect hugs. Let's be honest here, I'm a hugger. Friends, family, even people I've just met. And nothing beats a good hug. You know what I'm talking about. You're with a significant other and you find that spot that's just so comfortable you never want to let go. Yeah...that's what I'm talking about.
  • Natural blue. You know the color I mean - when you look up and say to yourself, "wow, the sky is really blue today." Or when you go on vacation and the water is this bright blue - almost turquoise - and yet when you walk in it's crystal clear. There's no color in the world like it.
Can you tell my brain has already checked out on vacation. Sorry y'all. I'm sure it's getting a little old. But there will be plenty of encounter stories when I get back. And of course, a Photography Friday with lots to share.

What'd y'all do this weekend? What are your additions to The Good Stuff?

Cheers!

-A

6 comments:

Maxie said...

I'm with you on the color of the sky. I love it when it's bright blue.

Narm said...

I LOVE being a regular. The Lady Friend is a globe-trotter much like yourself and I haven't been able to convince her the benefits of having a "place" or a bit of a routine. Any tips to show her the light?

Christian Holm said...

Okay... first off, only someone going destroying his or here finances at Starbucks would actually call one of the folks there Barista... you must be addicted girl!

But I do agree with you on the Blue thing. I used to live in Southern Florida, and there were days during the spring we got perfect blue skys and perfect blue water (at 75 degrees)...

And, although I'm not a hugger myself... there's nothing better...

Susan said...

I love your list! Shirts out of the dryer are the best. I also like the warmth you feel in a car when it has been sitting in the sun. In the summer most people hate that, but I love it, if only for a minute all the time.

Jennie said...

yes to the hugs... only from the people you want to hug you though haha. There is probably nothing worse than getting in a forced lock grip with someone you are creeped out by.

Ashley said...

maxie - just can't take my eyes off it.

narm - take her to the places you are a regular and let her see the perks for herself. make a recommendation on something she'll love...she'll be hooked and want a place of her own - I think.

wc#3 - i'm looking forward to the blue water while in Miami and the Caribbean next week!

susan - ooh, I LOVE the heat from a warmed up car. Especially when you came from air conditioning...it's so soothing.

jennie - of course. no creepers, please!