Monday, February 23, 2009

Visit to Amish Country

When I was a kid I remember driving through Amish Country on the way to Florida for a family vacation. This was back when gas was 75 cents a gallon and teal Astro vans were all the rage - or something like that.

Anyhow, we never stopped, it was more of a quick pass through, look at that horse & buggy rolling down the street on the way to the beach sorta thing. And this weekend I realized why...

Now don't get me wrong, I did grow up in the country - what I like to refer to as the middle-of-nowhere Michigan - but it's been a while since I've experienced this type of country setting. It was a little startling, to be honest.

But once we arrived at our destination and got to step foot inside the house it was all worth it. For the first time I got to meet my little Otis. Oh, he makes me melt.


(How precious is he?!)

Oh, and you can ignore the audio. There are lots of dogs that were roaming around and a canary on top of the fridge that loved to hear its own voice.

Honestly, I couldn't believe how small he was. I'd guess four or five pounds, max. And I guess I was expecting him to be a little more rambunctious, like this little dude named Copper. He's the bigger of the two that would not stop licking my hand. Even getting him to quit running for this video was quite the challenge.


(The little speckled dog is Steve...he's a sweetie too)

As a recommendation from the breeder, I'll be bringing him home sooner than expected. This Friday to be exact.

Oh. My. GOSH! am I nervous. Mainly, because I know he is, too. This really showed as he shook on my lap. Oh...makes me sad just thinking about it.

But, the breeder said it'd be good for him to come home now, get to know me, the SO, my friends. And then, sometime before the big vacation I can bring him back to the breeder and have the final pick up in April.

I know, I know. But at least I didn't take her other recommendation of adopting Copper as well. One I can handle, but two...yipe!

So there you have it. The first video of my mini dachshund. Many more to come I'm sure.

Cheers!

-A

7 comments:

ANG* said...

i've said it a million times, but i am sooooooo excited for you! you'll be a great mom, dont worry :)

Susan said...

So adorable!

Ashley said...

ang - thanks, lady. I'm just so excited to bring him home!

susan - thanks!

Ben said...

Holy sweet moses...he is the CUTEST.

Ashley said...

ben - thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to bringing him home ahead of schedule.

Anonymous said...

Middle of Nowhere, Michigan - bet it's a lot like Wisconsin. :)

I'm so jealous but totally excited for you! Otis is Adorable!!!! You better post plenty of vlogs!

Ashley said...

cassette45 - you better believe there will be plenty of vlogs. And yes, Michigan and Wisconsin are VERY similar from what I've seen.