Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Taking it into my own hands


My life that is.

I'm taking the proverbial bull by the horns and riding off into the sunset - and apparently mixing my metaphors.

Anyhow, things have really started to change for me these past few months. In a better way than I could have even imagined.

Honestly, I've gotten pretty lucky given my lackadaisical nature as of late - sitting by, letting my life go where it may. It's not as if there has been a lack of ambition, really, but more so that things have really been looking up on their own, so why mess with a good thing, right?

A don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broken situation. And certainly, things are not broken.

Editors note: hear that? The faint knocking sound. Yeah, that's my knuckles tapping my oak desktop. Though I haven't gotten this far because of superstition, I'm still not taking any chances by jinxing this one.

Recently though, I've become inspired to take matters, especially those that are flourishing on their own, into my own hands to improve upon them.

The one thing I'm not doing that I probably should, that all us young professionals should, is creating a plan. I'm talking more than just goals and objectives here, and really mapping out a path leading exactly where I want to go.

The problem...I'm not entirely sure where that is yet. Three years in the marketing industry and I have yet to decide if a) senior management is in my future, 2) I should continue office hopping until I find my niche or d) 5 years and out, baby! Can you say culinary school?

So, while I work on wrapping my brain and my hands around that task, my ambition is taking on a new form. I'm focusing on my personal life. *gasp* I know!

It's been a long time coming, but I'm doing everything in my power to cherish my personal time. In the past few months I've been able to visit with my college friends on numerous occasions and establish what I like to think is a solid relationship with the SO - two things that fell by the wayside in years past.

Between the upcoming Caribbean cruise and a trip to LA with the college crew this summer, I'm hoping these things only get better.

And with Otis coming home in the near future and my brothers upcoming wedding I've got a lot to focus on - and let me just tell you I'm beyond excited.

Who ever said you couldn't have it all is about to be proven wrong!

What are some areas of your life that you've really taken control of?

Cheers!

-A

4 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i'm so glad everything is looking up! recently the thing that i have most taken control over is my career, hey - if my love life isn't going anywhere i might as well succeed in something right?

Narm said...

I've really taken control of my laziness. I was only kind of lazy before but now I'm firmly planted on the couch as a lazy bum.

Susan said...

Your new outlook is inspiring, sorry that sounds cliche, but if I really meant it is that okay?

I think that professional life will build around your personal life, once you do take control of it and push it in the right direction.

Ashley said...

alexa - that was my strategy for the longest time...it was almost easier.

narm - it's great to have a definition to put with your laziness, bum!

susan - thanks! I like to think that's what'll happen. I need to get a better grip on how to say 'no' and staying positive. I'm still not great at either.