Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Learning about myself


So far, 2009 has taught me a lot about myself. Between the ups and downs of stress, training, work, and attempting to keep resolutions this past month has really opened my eyes to some of my little quirks.

Here's what I've learned so far:

I'm a much more patient and understanding person than I give myself credit for. Though when it comes to laziness or incompetence, I'm still pretty intolerant.

I love cooking. If I could afford it, I'd move to New York City and go to culinary school.

Even the smallest compliment acts as a great ego boost for my day.

As I get older, my procrastination gets worse. Though, in my defense, it's not because I don't want to do these things - it's more about not having enough hours in the day and having to choose.

I need frequent change in life. If it's not something drastic like moving across the country (again), you'll probably find me at the salon changing my hair color (again), or traveling, or testing out a new workout class. I get bored easily.

Yoga keeps me sane.

Hard as I try, I don't drink enough water. With all the coffee and tea to fuel my workday it's no easy task to replenish. And I hate buying water at the store - I hate lugging them in and it's just so environmentally unfriendly it hurts.

I still have no idea how to balance my career with my personal life - and still attempt to do it all.

When I'm down, the best thing is a good quote from The Office:

"If it were an iPod, it would be a shuffle." ~Pam

"Oh well. If they're not together now, then they probably never will be. I thought they would be good together like PB & J. Pam Beasley and Jim. What a waste. What a waste." ~Kevin

"I'm not insightful enough to be a movie critic. Maybe I could be a food critic. These muffins taste bad. Or an art critic. That painting is bad." ~Andy

"Yeah. Right. I filled him full of butter and sugar for fifty years and forced him not to exercise. Now take a lesson from Stanley and jog on up here and sign this, okay?" ~Dwight

"Jim, you're six eleven and you weigh ninety pounds, Gumby has a better body than you. Boom roasted. Dwight, you're a kiss-ass. Boom roasted. Meredith, you've slept with so many guys you're starting to look like one. Boom roasted. Kevin, I can't decide between a fat joke or a dumb joke boom roasted. Stanley! You crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks. Boom roasted. Oscar, you're gay! Andy Cornell called, they think you suck! And you're gayer than Oscar. Boom roasted!" ~Michael

"Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh I donno, I sing in the shower? Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me-- no, don't sue me. That is opposite the point I'm trying to make." ~Michael

"One day Michael came in, complaining about a speed bump, on the highway... I wonder who he ran over then." ~Jim


Yeah, I could do that all day.

What have you learned about your self so far this year?

Cheers!

-A


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lol'd all through the office yesterday! Thanks for posting the quote.

And I learned in '09 that I suck at office politics, and I can actually cook!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i've learned that i'm a lot better at my job than i give myself credit for sometimes.

and i agree a little compliment makes my day that much better too.

Susan said...

I have finally learned to say no to things (if only a little) and not take on every significant task like I owe it to the world.

Basically, I have learned that I am only human and can only do so much.

Jennie said...

I've learned that I can't control certain things in my life, but I can at least plan for the best and hopefully will be able to accept the worse if/when it happens.

Matt said...

I could read Dwight quotes all day!!

Maxie said...

The Office can cheer me up ANY time. Seriously-- If i'm feeling really down I'll just pop in a DVD.

Ashley said...

anna - i learned that too! it's amazing what you can cook up when you're putting in the effort.

alexa - that's a great thing to learn...I still struggle with that!

susan - no is a fabulous word!

jennie - ah, I feel like I just had this conversation the other night :)

matt - me too!

maxie - there's just something about those idiots...