Thursday, April 30, 2009

But...it won't fit in that bucket.



In reflecting on my amazing weekend with the lovely Christina, a conversation about our bucket lists comes to mind.

This was a branch off from a previous discussion about passions - and living for what you're passionate about, and most importantly, finding someone to share your life with that's equally passionate about something....anything.

Most definitely an important quality - but that's a topic for another day.

Given that we've been skydiving, multiple times now, that's a scratch off the ole bucket list for both of us. But a question that came to mind is this: can you alter your list? Because now, my ambition has changed - instead of "go skydiving" can I change my list to reflect my desire to earn my USPA license?

It also got me to thinking more about the other things that I hope to experience in this life.

Up until now, I really haven't developed such a list.

Shocker right? The queen of obsessive list making doesn't have a list of things she wants to accomplish in this lifetime? WHAT?!?

I guess the closest I've come to doing so is through my New Year's Resolution making each year.

Well it's about damn time that changed. So I'm starting one. Right here. In public.

Because who better to share this with than y'all?

While my list doesn't nearly compare - what can I say, I just don't have the guts to try out for a show like Survivor -here’s a snippet of what I’ve got so far:

1) Skydive Earn my B skydiving license from the USPA.

2) Teach a creative writing course.

3) Eat sushi in Japan.

4) Attend SXSW and Austin City Limits.

5) Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef.


6) Ride in a hot air balloon.

7) Visit the Taj Mahal.

8) Ski the Rockies.

9) Own a dog.

10) Volunteer at a soup kitchen.

11) Learn the last dance from Dirty Dancing.

12) Visit Rio de Jenero.



13) Hold a koala bear in Australia.

14) Run a marathon.

15) Swim with dolphins.

16) Complete a HALO skydive.

17) Throw fish in Seattle.


18) Recycle and become more Green.

19) Visit the zen and lotus gardens in Kyoto, Japan.

20) Win the lottery.

This is just a small glimpse at my list. What can I say, as I started putting it together my ambitions started rolling in.

And of course, some of these I've completed, like skiing in the Rockies, and many of them require world travel - some are even dreams that may never come true (ahem, the lottery. But I'm trying, and you gotta play to win, and someones gotta win so you never know...).

This is a list that will definitely continue to grow and maybe even change over time.

So tell me dear readers, what's on your bucket list, and what have you already been able to cross off?

Cheers!

-A

7 comments:

golublog said...

Alot of these are great. I wonder what could replace the air related ones for those of us deathly afraid of heights.

Matt said...

Scuba Dive the reef!!!!

thats totally on my list.

Anonymous said...

I'm not BS'ing you, but I actually think you can do all these things! Not sure about #20, 'cuz the odds are a lil...well, you know...slim. But if it happens, don't forget about me! Just a ticket to santorini :)!

Allison M. said...

interesting with the fish throwing. very cool idea. I want to say "this is today on nbc" with Meredith Viera.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i want to be cast on a reality television show.

Susan said...

go to the Galapagos Islands.

Ashley said...

golublog - there have got to be some water sports that would fit in there...

matt - it's a great one!

anna - I'm planning to - at least, the ones I can control.

allison - it's always looked like a very cool thing to do.

alexa - that would be great. Let's get this blogger one up and running, shall we?

susan - oooh, that'd be a great trip!