Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pasta Paradise

For some reason I really wanted to use alliteration in the title today.

Though this doesn't have anything to do with paradise, and honestly, the pasta I'm talking about isn't really all that special, I still felt compelled.

Shut up.



Lately I've been on this pasta kick. Lunch typically consists of some form of pasta - mainly because companies like Lean Cuisine and Kashi only know how to make vegetarian meals with spaghetti, linguine or penne.

There are other options here, folks.

But I'm not here to bitch.

*gasp* I know, right?!

Actually, I'm here to brag a little. I've been feeling rather good about my cooking skills that seem to be improving. By modifying recipes I find to fit my diet - like my stuffed peppers that are a version of Giada's - and coming up with little concoctions of my own I've become quite the little chef in the last six months.

Food Network here I come!

Okay, so maybe not quite yet.

Sure, I'm not creating sauces from scratch or anything, but I'm pretty proud of my recent pasta creations.

A few weeks back I was working from home and got hung up on what to make for lunch. When I'm not at the office I refuse to microwave my meals - fresh is always better.

So I grabbed a box of whole wheat penne from the pantry and thought it a good idea to create my own recipe on the spot. After all, I had 12 minutes of boiling time to come up with something great.

How hard can it be, right?

Surprisingly, not all that difficult at all!

A can of white mushrooms and some fresh, halved Kalamata olives and my pasta was in good shape. And lucky for me I always have sun-dried tomatoes lying around for just such an occasion. Toss with a little extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and viola!


Then this week, I had to head home from the office early for the installation of AT&T U-verse in my apartment (which, by the way, if you don't have you NEED. It's amazing, and I'm not even that much of a TV watcher...but I digress).

So for lunch, it was time to create!

I pulled out the second half of that trusty box of whole wheat penne and went to work. Only this time, instead of adding veggies straight from the jar, I sauteed some white mushrooms and Kalamata olives (again), and switched it up with some cheery tomatoes.

The pasta was cooked al dente and added to the sautee pan along with some pesto sauce from the fridge. I prefer Buitoni brand - it tastes fresher.

Once the meal was cooked evenly I plated it and garnished with some shredded pecorino romano for a nice little flavor burst.


Essentially, these were the same dish with minor alterations. But I have to admit I definitely favored the latter version with pesto and cherry tomatoes. Though next time, I'm going to let the tomatoes burst for a little more flavor.

All in all, I'm pleased, and I think my pasta skills have improved exponentially since I started.

So what do you say Bobby - are you ready for a Throw Down?

Cheers!

-A

(p.s. - yes, I truly believe that if I link to the Food Network site enough times that they'll notice me and want to hire me because I'm just that cool...)

5 comments:

Susan said...

I am so impressed. This week I made a casserole that turned out pretty good but it was because I followed the recipe closely. The next day I tried to wing a ckicken dish and it didn't turn out so hot. I don't have cooking intuition, yet.

beckylbranch said...

That looks delish! You did good...you are ready for the throw down for sure! ha..ha..

Jennie said...

If you get on the Food Network I get to be your PR girl... deal? Especially if you throw a few GF meals on your show :)

Matt said...

I wish Giada was single...

Ashley said...

susan - it'll come with time...though I'm not sure I could manage a decent casserole either.

becky - bring it on, Bobby!

whiskers - deal. and you know i'm all about the special diets.

matt - me too, dude. me too.