Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Give it a rest, Debbie


So I know y'all were expecting another vacation recap post today, but I thought instead, I'd break the mold a bit and discuss something that's been bugging me recently.

Surprise, the cynical side rears it's ugly head again.

But this time, it's for good reason.

It seems, as of late, there's been an epidemic going around. It's called Debbie Downer syndrome.

In recent interactions with friends and acquaintances, there's been this low cloud of negativity hanging around. And even when people seem happy on the surface, the undertones of conversation is often sullen.

Sure, you're probably thinking that I've got good reason to be chipper after a seven day tropical vacation. But I'm talking about emotion that runs a little deeper than that.

After all, I too am stuck in this snowy April weather like everyone else, and sure, my Spartans endured a tough loss to UNC last night in the NCAA national championship game, but you can't let that stuff rock you to the core.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some things in life, the unavoidable tragedies and unfortunate circumstances where grieving is not only acceptable and expected, but it's needed. These are not the situations to which I am referring.

It's these perpetual Debbie Downer types that really start to get to me after a while. What's worse, is the things they complain about. Ordinary, mundane issues of daily life. And often, a solution is well within their reach.

It's starting to seem like people are losing control over their own happiness.

Is it that we don't realize just how much power we have over our outlook on life?

Maybe it's that I was lucky enough to grow up in a family that encouraged my growth into a strong person. One that showed me how to take the reigns of my life, so to speak, and keep a level head.

Of course, we're all aware of my cynical nature - it's a defining characteristic, like it or not.

And as someone who often allows the actions of others to impact my own happiness, I've got some nerve preaching this concept to others (see what I did there...admitting it makes it okay). But if we all took a step back and looked at what we've got, you might be surprised at just how happy you really are right now.

And if you're still not, then do something about it and quit bringing the rest of us down with you. Jerk!

Follow a dream, explore a new passion, help someone. All of these things have the potential to bring you outside of yourself. Be a part of something bigger than just you.

And who knows, you might accomplish something you never dreamed was possible - like waking up and smiling.

Cheers!

-A

6 comments:

Matt said...

your cynical posts are by far, my favorite posts

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

ugh. i hate people that are constant debbie downers. i'm the complete opposite 90% of the time. that's still a big percent right?

Susan said...

It seems like everyone is down lately, I don't know if it's the economy or what. But with so many bad things happening these days it seems like a waste to get upset over things that don't matter in the end.

pj said...

Can I get an amen, sista!

rachaelgking said...

I always apologize for my cynical or downer posts too, and we totally shouldn't. ESPECIALLY when it's someone else's attitude bringing you down. Vent away!

Ashley said...

matt - thanks. it's definitely one of my trademarks!

alexa - 90 percent is incredible. I'm just asking for the occasional positive note, here.

susan - exactly!

pj - thank you!

lilu - if we can't do it here, where can we, right?