Thursday, August 28, 2008

My love

I love airplanes.

Probably to the point of obsession.

Maybe even more than sushi - yes, that much!

Growing up, I loved to fly - the feeling of being pushed back in your seat at take off, the moments of weightlessness upon descent, all of it. Trips to Traverse City just to see the Blue Angels perform out over Like Michigan were always anticipated.

As an adult the thrill of the flight has subsided, but my love and appreciation of the aircraft has grown substantially.

In college I found myself seeking out information on military planes.

Living in San Antonio during my internship proved exciting as there were five active Air Force bases where aircraft were often tested and flown. My favorite by far was watching the C5 Galaxy take off and land - it's amazing how that beast of a plane can take off and stay in the air.


As an entry level PR professional I was blessed to have a client that served military members, veterans, and their families. As I mentioned in this post, having met and worked with Major Mike was an honor, as was serving this organization. The best part was working the Lackland Air Fest and being around these machines for an entire weekend and getting to watch the Thunderbirds perform directly overhead.

(I even got to sit in the cockpit and chat up some rather cute pilots)

So what, you ask?

So...this year the Blue Angels are performing during a 3 day airshow in the city, and given that this is the week before the show, the pilots have been practicing right outside my office window. I'm in awe - of the speed, the power, the incredible aerobatics - and having quite a difficult time concentrating. And unfortunately, my efforts at taking a stunning shot with my point and shoot as they whoosh by so close you can see the pilot inside the cockpit has not been as successful as I'd like. But it looks something like this:

Needless to say, I'm in love.

If I could experience one thing in my life before I die it would be to take a ride in an F-16 (as opposed to the F-18, I'm an Air Force jet kind of girl) to experience the G-forces. And yes, I know about the possibility of getting sick and losing my lunch all over the cockpit, but I'm willing to take that chance.


Maybe next time Capt. Nicole Malachowski is in town with the Thunderbirds, she'll take me for a spin. After all, we're tight - we go way back.

Cheers!

-A

(Another vision from Lackland. Even the military has a sense of humor!)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You did NOT just drop a C-5 Galaxy reference! Didn't see that coming at all!

I too am OBSESSED with military aircraft, which makes it good the airshow is only once a year because I absolutely geek out. The crackling roar of the engines....Love it! When I lived in Michigan, I almost crashed my car when a formation of F-16s flew over I-94 when I was driving home.

I used to spend my money on used airplane books when I was little. I knew nearly every aircraft in use by the Air Force, Navy, Marines and Army since Vietnam, and I even knew most of what the UK and Russia flew.

To me, being a fighter pilot was the coolest ass job you could ever have. I gotta disagree, though, I prefer the F-14 to the F-16, but it was retired, so you might win by default.

Ashley said...

I DID just drop a C-5 reference. Did you happen to see the C-130 sitting out there today? That's the cockpit I'm sitting in on my post.

F-14s are pretty cool - though I have to say the F-16 and F-15 practices today were pretty impressive.

We should talk planes sometime.