Friday, August 8, 2008

Home from California

In a recent conversation with my mother about my upcoming trip home to visit the fam I found out that my uncle will be coming in this weekend from California. It's been about three years since I have seen him and well over a year since I last heard his voice over the phone, so this will be quite a treat.

My dad's brother and his wife moved out to California over 20 years ago where he took a new sales job and they've been out there ever since. My uncle, aunt, their five children, and now their children's children have always felt like long-lost family members to me. In my lifetime I've seen them less than 10 times, but every time we get together I realize how much I miss having them around. Though both of my parents are children of four, we have a relatively small family, and with half of my dad's side living thousands of miles away it makes for an interesting dynamic. (You didn't know you'd be getting my entire family history today, did you?)

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited to spend time with my uncle this weekend. On top of that, my family and I are headed to a local park to go kayaking and trail running. Follow all that by dinner with friends, a movie with the BFF and a friendly visit on the trip home and it makes for one hell of a weekend. And I'll be sure to meet some interesting people along the way.

Cheers!

-A

*Don't you just love the picture of my cute little family?

4 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

well that sounds like quite a perfect weekend! i myself have another wedding - good times.

great family pic btw!

Anonymous said...

sounds like its going to be an aweseome weekend!

Anonymous said...

...nice.

Ashley said...

alexa - it was rather perfect aside from the torrential rains. being at home with family is one of my favorite past times.

anna - as you know, it really was! p.s. Love the picture - where ever did you get it?

-mr.glenn - very much so!