Monday, July 14, 2008

Friday on the rooftop

For the first time in a couple months I spent the entire weekend at my apartment. Between traveling for work and pleasure, trips back home to visit the family, and random road trips I haven't spent much time in my current residence. And after a long winter filled with bar hopping and crappy dates the break was much needed. I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable this weekend turned out to be, and let me tell you, it's been a long time coming.

Friday night after the typical day at the office and a run I headed out with some long-lost friends for sushi and wine followed by beer and cornhole at the nearest Winking Lizard. By the time we made it back to the apartment, Wii bowling was calling our names (I broke my record, where's Mike when you need him?) It was a beautiful night so my friend Ryan and I ventured up to the rooftop deck for some fresh air, though as a bonus we also narrowly escaped a heated discussion on religion. Who talks religion at 3 a.m. on a Friday night anyway? I mean really...

Sitting up on the deck overlooking downtown really helps clear my head, and it seemed to do the same for my friend. We chatted for quite some time about the things that are most important to us, and the topic of love and dating came up. It made me think of this post by a fellow single 20-something blogger as we discussed the perils of dating and the desire to have that "giddy" feeling about someone without all the politics of dating. Is that even possible? It was refreshing to be sitting with someone of the opposite sex who also thinks some of the social norms of dating are bull shit - the newest of which being sending a text to ask someone out. Guess what, my answer, if there is a response at all, is no. Don't be a coward, pick up the phone and face potential rejection like a man.

I could add to this list forever. But let's hear what y'all think.

Cheers!

-A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the Cleveland skyline, right? I'm a Clevelander and I love looking at the downtown from afar... you get such a "city" feeling that you don't always get in Cleveland.
And I totally agree with you about the text-dating. I don't even understand society anymore. Sigh.

So@24 said...

A shout out! I can't believe it!

Ashley said...

1scrambledegg - yes indeed, that is the Cleveland skyline, shown from my rooftop deck. It does look more city-like than it feels.

so@24 - a much deserved shout out!