Monday, July 28, 2008

Music ADD

Looking back on a relaxing weekend where I can actually say I didn't do much and mean it, there's a statement that continues to replay in my head:

"You have some serious music ADD."

Truth. This is something that I continue to struggle with. I've even gone so far as to create tailored playlists in iTunes in hopes of preventing constant music surfing. The even more unfortunate thing is, this behavior has begun to irritate others too - let me explain.

On Friday night, in our mutual state of boredom, my friend Jamie and I decided to relax with some drinks and a few rounds of Wii bowling. Rather than listen to the standard Wii background music that will put anyone to sleep after a long work week, I brought out the Mac to listen to some music we both enjoy. For the most part, Jamie and I have similar taste in music, so when The French Kicks, Morrissey, or Death Cab comes up in the playlist I know he's not going to look at me with the tone of "what the F is this." (And yes, a look can have a tone.)

However, when I was changing the music after the first 15 second of every song until I found the one to perfectly fit the moment, I was called out on my music ADD.

Sometimes you just can't help it - or at least I can't. So how do I break the habit?

On the one hand, I tend to be rather picky with my music choices, so if a song isn't up to par, why waste any more of my time listening. Then again, you can't get the full effect unless you take the time to listen in full at least once. See my dilemma?

Breaking this habit is going to be like any other - it's going to take determination and dedication - two things I'm not sure I want to waste on something as silly as music ADD. So for now, it's back to surfing on Pandora.

Cheers!

-A

4 comments:

Narm said...

I've started listening to music on vinyl. When you have to get up - get the record out of those annoying sleeves and put it on the record player and then have it play - you appreciate listening to the entire album a little more.

CC said...

thanks for the advice! hopefully i'll find someone to appreciate my awkwardness! i do love the guys that are more on the imperfect side, so hopefully that goes both ways!

btw, i definitely suffer from music add myself. more so in the car, especially on road trips. i know i drive people crazy, but i want the perfect song!

Jamie said...

My favorite part was when you'd give me five seconds to guess the band.

No worries on the movie. I spent yesterday brainstorming on the beach for the new business trip today!

Ashley said...

narm - that's a great way to go about it. When laziness ensues you're forced to listen.

cc - it's all about the perfect song at that moment.

jamie - and you were pretty impressive, I must say. Might be catching the movie this weekend if you're interested.