Monday, July 7, 2008

Home for the holidays

Technically, I went home for the holiday, the 4th of July holiday that is.

Going home is always a treat. Growing up in small town America, I couldn't wait to leave for the big city. And now, having lived in and experienced some of the biggest cities this country has to offer, I can't wait to go back home for a weekend of peace and relaxation (yes, Michigan is still my home as I consider myself still in transition). After a weekend away I often leave feeling rejuvenated from the slow pace of the country but ready to jump right back into city life. However, watching this extended weekend at home come to a close has left me with feelings of home-sickness and longing, the effects of which have been contemplation and inward reflection.

There are so many things I miss about living in rural Michigan, but here's a few that I hope will provide a glimpse into the world where I grew up:

1. The amount of stars that you can see on a clear night. It's incredible.
2. A quick 15 minute trip takes you to the heart of East Lansing and Michigan State University.
3. Michigan State University's campus.
4. A hockey obsessed state - Hockeytown in the D
5. Farms. Everywhere.
6. Seasons at their finest - I've never experienced a true autumn anywhere else
7. My family, of course
8. The friendly faces, smiles and random conversations of Midwesterners
9. Outdoor activities - us country folk play lots of outdoor games like Bocce Ball
10. The lakes
11. Appreciation for cars, especially the American-made classics
12. Men who actually do things with their hands - yes, people actually know how to fix their own car, lawn mower, dish washer...
13. The community - people stick together and support one another when it really matters
14. Strawberry farms, yum!
15. Adam

[Okay, so that last one is specific to me, but every time I go home and spend time with my BFF I come back to the city missing him a little more than before.]

So there you have it, my top 15 reasons, in no particular order, why I love my home state. Of course there are reasons beyond these, as well as reasons to dislike 'home' such as the economy and gas prices, but the pros definitely out weight the cons. Maybe I'm a sap. Or maybe I haven't taken the time to truly appreciate and embrace all that NE Ohio has to offer. Regardless, I miss my home and I heart Michigan. So please, no need to apologize when I tell you where I'm from. I'm quite proud of my roots and fully enjoy my mini vacations in a most tranquil of places.

What are some of the reasons that you miss home?

Cheers!

-A

5 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i LOVE michigan!!! love it.

my best friend from college lives in grosse pointe and i have spent many weekends at her cottage in harbor springs.

ALSO i worked on mackinac island for 5 months after college. gotta love putting off growing up for as long as possible.

Narm said...

I miss a lot of the same things as you. Being at home over the weekend and seeing thousands of fire flies weave through the wheat fields reminded me how much I hate asphalt and concrete.

And how much I miss using my hands. I spent the first 20 years of my life on the farm and the last 2 behind a computer. It just doesn't compare.

Jamie said...

When I came home from Dallas last year and Detroit when I lived there, I felt the same way about the gritty industrialness of Cleveland and the soft, "rural/suburbaness" of where I actually grew up. It was comforting in a weird way, mostly because it's "home." No matter where I go, I'll always be from Ohio.

I do have an assignment for you though, to see more of Ohio because there's a lot of different things I think you'd like. Like Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the fall... http://flickr.com/photos/jimcihula/295361912/

Oh, the homework will come with print outs and maps, btw. Never paid too much attention to guys who fix stuff, though. Maybe Home Depot...?

Ashley said...

alexa - isn't Mackinac wonderful? Northern Michigan provides tranquility, scenery and outdoor activities galore. If careers were sustainable up there you know where I'd be.

narm - fire flies! I completely forgot about those little guys. Make that 16 reasons. And I'm right there with ya on the desk job situation, I'd like to get my hands dirty more often.

jamie - it's all about "home," it really is where the heart is. Homework? I'm not sure about all that. But of course, you know where to find me.

CC said...

i just went home for a long weekend in my small hometown of Derby, KS (I live in Dallas now) and I am feeling the same nostalgia! I'm loving your list and I think I'll make one of my own. :)