Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Inspirational encounters

Throughout my career in public relations I have had the opportunity to meet a number of people with a wide range of personalities and traits. The past year spent in healthcare PR has been a learning experience, but this weekend proved just how rewarding my job really is.

At a recent function in Philadelphia, I was blessed to be surrounded with some of the most inspirational people I have ever met. These people are living with a disease that most would consider to be a death sentence upon diagnosis (in fact, until I knew more about the disease and its treatments, I thought exactly that).

Expecting to greet 10 patients who are disabled and/or wheelchair bound, I was pleasantly surprised. Each person had his own story about diagnosis and treatment of the disease. Of the people I met, you would not know that even one of them was sick - some of which have had the disease since the early 1980s (before I was even born, folks).

The three-day event was wonderful. We mingled, we learned, and in the end, we became friends. I am fortunate to have met such an inspirational group of people. The community they share is highly connected and they continue to inspire and learn from one another. If only general society could take a lesson or two from this community...

Cheers!

-A

No comments: