Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Friend in Iraq

Like many 20-somethings in this country, I have a friend in Iraq. He's a Navy man, serving his country in the desert until December (I know, on a ship would make more sense to me, too). He also is an amazing friend and is showing me what it means to be a great friend. Let me explain.

In the relatively short time that he has been overseas, between 12+ hour days, eating, working out and sleeping (which pretty much would consume my life, I must say), he's managed to send dozens of pictures online, draft and send e-mails, write notes on Facebook, and pick up the phone a handful of times late at night just to say hi - and he called me on my birthday in the middle of a sandstorm (okay, so I made that last part up, but it sounds good). Sandstorm or not, that's one hell of a friend. Makes me look pretty bad in comparison.

So when another friend of mine touched base last week to say he was deploying with the Air Force (yes, he will be flying a jet) at the beginning of July and would love to have me come visit before he goes, I jumped at the opportunity. The story comes full circle now when I tell you that I'll be visiting my dear friend in San Francisco in two weeks. So there you have it, my summer vacation destination. Though I still have a place in my heart for Denver, I'll be sure to make the trip next year.

So to all those in Iraq, and the best of the best who make it a priority to keep in touch.

Cheers!

-A

No comments: