Monday, May 12, 2008

Group of Spartans

For the past year I have lived in a state where not only is it a sin to have grown up in Michigan - regardless of the fact that I dispise the Wolverines just as much as everyone else this side of Toledo - but finding like-minded Spartans is a needle-in-a-haystack venture. What's most surprising (to me at least) is that in my time in Dallas I met 2-3 times more MSU alumni than I have here in this neighboring state. It hasn't taken me long to realize why Michiganders tend to steer away from Ohio: "We don't give a damn about the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan..." Yeah, it's a real song, and Ohioans love to sing it. But that's a topic for another day "Why Ohio hates Michigan..." though I'm not sure I even know why.

One of the things I tend to find most annoying about graduates of other universities, specific to the Midwest, is the mentality of Ohio University graduates. Let me be cynical for a moment, then I'll get back on track. Promise. Ohio University alumni take great pride in having attended this school in small-town Ohio, as any dedicated alumni should. Where does it become annoying you ask? When that's all they talk about, all they think about, and when they get together in groups, all they reminisce about. For those of us who have to witness this, often daily, YUCK! It's right up there with the couples who decide to grope each other in public - only it's "Bobcats forever" with this crowd. On occasion, I've actually thrown up in my mouth a little when I've had to sit through Bobcat reunions, it's just gross.

Anyhow, to my surprise on Friday, the tables turned and I got to be one of these annoying alumni for the night (just ask my friends who had to witness it). After a lovely sushi dinner with a close friend, we went to a bar downtown to hear one of our favorite cover bands. When we walked in we were greeted by a group of guys who were there for a bachelor party. Free drinks were offered so we decided to chat them up for a while before the band started. They seemed nice enough and within a few minutes of typical get-to-know-you conversation, it came out that I was an MSU grad. Maddness ensued.
Everyone in the bachelor party was a Spartan. Most had graduated in early to mid 2000s, one was still a student. To my surprise, he was the one who intrigued me the most. Though only 21 and a finance senior in the business college, he was articulate and interesting to talk to (or maybe he was just more sober than the others).

Throughout the night this group of fellow Spartans got pretty rowdy - at one point they even started a "Go Green, Go White" chant; and yes, I joined in. Now, had this happened back in Michigan, or even in Texas, I would have refrained from joining this ridiculousness. But given the sheer annoyance of Ohio State and Ohio University alumni throughout the city, I decided it would be a good idea to get a little obnoxious myself - sort of a taste-of-your-own medicine effort I suppose. I'm not so sure that it worked, but regardless, I had a lot of fun with these visiting Spartans.

Thanks, guys, for brining a little MSU spirit to Ohio, and for reminding me how green my blood really is. Until next time...
Go Green!
-A

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Editor's note: I do in fact have a number of friends that attended OU, many of whom act in this disgusting manner. However, the fact that it makes my stomach churn - and that I am highly vocal about it - is meant to be all in good fun, just like "we don't give a damn about the whole state of Michigan..." Or is it???

even pretty girls need to read said...

My favorite is when people ask where I am from. Upon finding I am from Michigan, they respond, "I'm sorry."

Really? Because I'm not.

Ashley said...

claire - I know, right? We should play their game and start a list of why Michigan is better than Ohio, beginning with "we are better drivers."

2. at least Lake 'Michigan' has never been on fire

3. any other thoughts?

Allison M. said...

Those OU kids are crazy. I went to Kent. What do I know about having a crazy party school when it was known as a suitcase campus? I do like that everyone meets in Hilton Head or wherever. It's a pretty cool thing.

Never understood the whole Michigan/Ohio rivalry. I still don't.

Ashley said...

allison m. - it's great how every school has it's traditions and quirks that set the students and alumni apart for the rest. And to the point of the rivalry, I'm certain it stems back to the Ohio St./Michigan football rivalry. Thing is, what Ohio State fanst don't realize is that rivialry isn't nearly as important to U of M as it is to OSU. That's why when you cross the border into Michigan, the only snide remark you may get in mentioning you are from Ohio is "damn, you guys drive slow down there!"