Monday, April 7, 2008

The value of listing

It's no secret that one of my quirks is the need to make lists - for everything. Literally. This has been something that my friends have enjoyed poking fun at over the years.

Me: "I've got so much to do this weekend, I don't even know where to begin."
Friend #1: "Wait, you don't have a list for that yet? I figured you'd have written out in order of importance, alphabetical order, and reverse alphabetical order - just for the fun of it."

From to-do lists, to itemized shopping lists, to pros and cons lists (...to take this opportunity, to dump this guy...) I've written them all, and each one takes credit for keeping me organized. But listing goes beyond the obvious organization factor. Lists are succinct and efficient ways to provide information without too many words. And those who know me well know my tendency to edit out unnecessary words. Though this is a topic for another day.

To once again pay tribute to Seth for his words of wisdom: people like lists. Truth. They are quick and easy to read (it's the organized style that the human brain follows easiest), straight to the point, and often entertaining - who doesn't like a good one liner?

So as a blogger who respects the busy lives of her readers, I vow to become more succinct by listing more frequently. Let me know if there's a topic you want me to cover outside of the norm - I can be flexible. Until then, here's my short list of must-visit cities in the U.S. where you are bound to have some interesting encounters of your own.

1. Houghton, MI - If you are willing to make the drive, the scenery is well worth it. The drunken college kids make for some night-time entertainment.

2. San Antonio, TX - Between the tourists and miliary personnel who filter through the city on training stints, this city is crawling with new faces. Check out the Riverwalk as a starting place.

3. Denver, CO - Specifically the airport. It's amazing, and filled with winter sports enthusiasts from across the world.

4. Chicago, IL - The Magnificient Mile, Lake Michigan, cultural arts along Lakeshore Drive, and high-rises as far as the eye can see.

5. Fountain Hills, AZ - Blue skies in December and a guiser-like fountain. The scenery is beautiful in this little town.

Cheers!

-A

No comments: