Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring cleaning uncovers wisdom

In my recent spring cleaning efforts, I’ve started down a path toward simplification. This has become quite the task, between cleaning out my dresser drawers to sifting through the proverbial mental closet, I have come across a number of memories and tidbits of information – some that I’m content on forgetting, others that are salient enough to document in writing.

Along the path to becoming a professional who can stand on her own two feet in this whirlwind society, I acquired some words of wisdom from colleagues and mentors that have not only provided guidance, but provided opportunities that propelled me down a path toward success. (Note: this is a credit to my teachers, colleagues, mentors, and supervisors of past and present, rather than a pat on the back for myself. As always, this has nothing to do with me.)

In keeping true to my listing promise, below are the 5 best pieces of advice I have received in my short time on this Earth (more to come at the next mental clean-up):

1. You don’t get what you don’t ask for. Provided back in my college days. We’re all a little too afraid to hear the word no.

2. Take out all the adverbs. Stated by a project manager about a pitch letter during my early career; and he was very right. That advice has helped me gain a head for editing – just ask our interns.

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs”
-Stephen King

3. Write a budget and stick to it. We do it for our clients – allocate time and resources based on budget – so why don’t we do it for ourselves? My neighbor provided me this oh-so-juicy piece of advice that has proven true. By telling your money where to go each month, you actually give yourself a raise.

4. Network. We hear it all the time, and like the V8 commercials where the guy gets bonked on the head because he “could have had a V8,” *BONK* to you if you aren’t out there meeting new people every day. Hello, that is the premise of this blog!

5. Read everything you can get your hands on. Welcome to the information age. Want to know something – read about it. Want to break into a new line of work – learn about it. Then go out and experience it for yourself.

Cheers!

-A

1 comment:

Holly said...

Great advice--thank you for the post.