Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't take it personally

It’s just business.

We’ve all been lectured on the importance of keeping personal and corporate affairs as separate entities, and sure, there is logic behind that advice, but with the amount of time we spend at the office these days, the lines tend to blur. Not only that, but it’s difficult to remain void of emotion while putting in 12 hour days for a profession in which you are passionate.

Over the past couple years I have gained a reputation for keeping a level head about myself when under pressure and in dealing with daunting changes – or so I’ve been told. But there have been times, even for the most level-headed of us, that you can’t help but take some issues to heart. It goes back to the old saying, no matter how cliché, “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” This concept, however, doesn’t seem to mesh well with the business ethics of some people, or their companies.

I’ll be the first to tell you that when I head to the office in the morning, I get my game face on and I’m ready to hit the ground running. But I’ll also be the first to admit there are times when I let my emotions sink a little too far into my work. Passion and desire to succeed can quickly turn into a five-alarm fire when assignments go awry (I’ve been known to get a little snippy from time to time).

So how does one handle these situations? Take the high road by catching yourself in the moment, taking some time to cool off and regroup, then acknowledge your rude behavior and try to have more control next time, or do you blame others and wait for the next opportunity to throw someone under the bus again?

Personally, I like to think the high-road is best. Sure, you have to suck up your pride and admit that you in fact are not a perfect human being (and let's be honest, it's the imperfections that are most endearing anyhow), but in the end, at least you have learned something about yourself and are working to grow from these experiences. And when you find yourself caught on the other end of these emotional explosions, try not to take it too personally. After all, it is just business.

Cheers!

-A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the old saying was "there is crying in p.r.!" . Great insights, thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

Anna - I thought the saying was "there's NO crying in PR." Hmm, if crying allowed I think I've been missing out!