Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Account Executive

This will probably be my last posting for a while, as I am headed down south for some R&R with the friends I left back in Texas. But the good news is, I’m bound to come back with numerous encounters to share with y’all – and maybe a little of that cute Southern accent as well. So to honor one of my former Texas colleagues, I’ve decided to salute him in a recent encounters tribute.

When I first met this man he seemed like the cool kid on the block. He was the unshaven, creative type that you’d expect to run into at an ad agency. Our first encounter left me with the impression that he had a laid back disposition and tended to keep to himself – boy did he prove me wrong. We worked closely together on a large account, and as the weeks and months passed, I came to realize the extent to which my initial impression was completely misguided. He was not only outgoing and opinionated, but his sarcasm bordered on infuriating at times. Not to mention that over time he learned that I have my moments of complete vulnerability, and he loved to prey on this – anytime I left myself wide open for insult, this AE was right there to step in and serve it up.

There were moments in Cubicle Land where I wanted to throw my monitor over the wall (in addition to the rubber frog and two-year-old bag of potato chips that frequently came flying over cube walls) in hopes of knocking him unconscious for a few moments of piece and quiet. But in the end, I’m not sure I would have survived that place without him. Thanks to random witty (though often vulgar) banter, 80s music trivia, and the occasional tiff he enjoyed starting with our other cube mates, the junior staffers managed to make it through the long days of media pitching and press release writing. We all owe our former colleague a hearty thanks for cutting through the stress that loomed in the air and keeping us sane with a little laughter – even if it was at the expense of others from time to time.

Luckily, we’ll have the opportunity to do so in person this weekend, as we all join back together for a reunion happy hour for some margaritas on the patio – can anyone say 80 degrees? I am greatly looking forward to meeting back up with my former colleagues and catching up on everything from new jobs to babies to the bitter weather we’ve experienced here in the North. But mostly, I’m looking forward to the laughter that will ensue upon our former colleague’s arrival. He never fails to make us all laugh until we cry.

See you soon.

Cheers!

-A

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Thanks, GB. You have been a good friend aside from being a great colleague. Everyone deserves a little of you in their life, and I envy all your upcoming co-workers. They won't know what hit them, but they'll love every minute of it!