Friday, January 18, 2008

He's like fingernails on a chalkboard

Such a simile can only be appointed to he who holds the capacity to irritate the masses. My most recent encounter was with such a person. I often wonder if these people are aware of their annoying disposition, or even if they irritate themselves at times. Are they oblivious to the way others consistently react to them; is it not apparent that others recoil at the mere thought of their presence in a room? These people are often gossiped about as the “weird one,” though they remain content in being needy, whiney, and intrusive. In my humble opinion, a journal for self-reflection would be quite useful. So who’s going to get it for him?

“Uh, hey Jack. Here’s a journal I bought so you can write down all the times people react negatively toward you every time you enter and leave a room. Maybe now you can figure out how amazingly bothersome you are to the entire world.” (I think not)

Or, is it possible that these elusive creatures of aggravation see exactly what is going on around them and continue to behave in an abrasive manner simply for spite? Do the attitudes of others feed their drive to find the next best way to want you to stick pencils in your eyes?

Just a hunch, but I don’t think that would go over too well. But what I do think is that these people come into our lives as a test of patients. Those who can not only tolerate, but also learn from these individuals are bound to grow from these encounters, regardless of how uncomfortable they may be. So just maybe, the best way to deal with these often maddening human encounters is to take a step back, roll your eyes back down from deep inside the frontal lobe, and be patient. Who knows, you may learn something after all – even if it’s only about your own disposition.

Thoughts?

-A

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This post is not to be taken in the tone of "I feel I am better than others, and this just proves that." Fact of the matter is, I am well aware of the nuisance I can be to my colleagues and my loved ones at times - aren't we all. The purpose of this posting, rather, is to candidly discuss these moments that we all encounter, and how to deal with them while maintaining a sense of integrity. Let's learn from one another's experiences, shall we?