Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Encountering Friendship

In the short 20+ years since my entrance into this world, I have been blessed with the ability to travel. During my travels, I have taken up residence in a number of big cities around the United States. These stints in often intriguing places have provided experiences that I would not give up for anything. Granted, moving is challenging, and getting acquainted with new colleagues and meeting new friends is often the most difficult aspect of the venture, but upon my move to Dallas in years past, I was blessed with an amazing experience that leads me to believe that the people that are meant to be in your life are often found in the most unexpected of places; you just have to be prepared to welcome them.

Upon arrival into Dallas proper, exhaustion quickly sank in. Between the constant lifting, carrying, and arranging, my muscles insisted on a break for lunch and a little shopping trip to purchase those last minute items (oh yeah, a shower curtain would be helpful, huh?). With a meal in my belly the effects of a the prior sleepless night and long drive across the state of Texas had begun to congeal, and fast. Little did I know that a quick trip to the nearest Starbucks would introduce one of the most genuine people into my life.

At 2 p.m. on this random weekday (I think it was a Thursday, though that’s not really relevant), the store was slow and the barista chatty. He asked me how my day was going, formality of course, but when the topic arose that my weary look was due to the immediate move, he was intrigued. Conversation led to my alma mater, Michigan State University. He was quick to point out that, he too, was a Spartan. At the time, this was an outstanding notion; the first person I’ve spoken to in town (outside of the woman who handed me my keys at the apartment complex) was a fellow MSU alum. As time went on, however, I came to learn that Dallas was filled with those of us who bleed green – it was quite wonderful, actually. We exchanged e-mail addresses and he informed me of the alumni association chapter that gets together to watch the games at a local bar (though if you’ve never been to Dallas, local doesn’t necessarily mean close; it just means within the city limits, which seem to go on forever). I left with my coffee feeling proud to have made my first new friend; one that has stuck by my side since that first meeting at Starbucks, and one I forsee being in my life for a long time. He continues to teach me how to be a better person, to think objectively, and most of all, to believe in myself. This is a person I trust and highly respect. You can’t ask for much more than that in a true friend.

Cheers!
-A

No comments: