Wednesday, July 8, 2009

You don't want my shoes


Late last night the SO and I were talking about our day. Thankfully, mine was rather uneventful, as his was fairly high-stress.

In the recap he was discussing a conversation with a man on his team that was so intense it got me worked up just listening to it.

Here's a little background for you: apparently in his prime this man used to be an executive of sorts, making "six figs" as he puts it, but given the economic decline and the near disappearance of his line of work, he's stuck working with the 20-somethings, doing work that he believes to be beneath him.

Editor's note: I don't understand half of what the SO does for a living, it's so complex. But of course, this is coming from a communications professional, what do I know?

So while arguing with the SO about leaving early, regardless if his work is done, Mr. Executive says, "try walking a day in my shoes."

Now, this brings me to my point.

No one, no matter what they've been through in their life, has the right to say that to someone else. Ever.

You just don't know what the person you're saying that to has gone through. You have no idea.

Giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he looks at the SO and thinks to himself that a 20-something kid has no idea what it's like to work his way to the top only to be smacked back down by elements that are out of your control, all the while trying to support a family - and so on and so forth.

But the fact of the matter is, he really doesn't know. Just because someone looks like they've lived a charmed life, it doesn't mean they have - nor does it mean they don't understand stress.

Oh, did I mention that he said "you don't know what stress is." Yeah, right. That too.

And truthfully, what this guy was complaining about is nothing in the grand scheme of the kinds of stress life can bring. Really, anyone who's ever endured true stress and life hardships, only to be left standing tall on the other side, doesn't go around rubbing it in others faces. They just don't.

So take a lesson from this douche - don't be one - and never assume you know how someone else leads their life. They could be two, or twenty, or ninety, you just don't know what kind of life experiences they've live through. No one has the right to assume their life is more difficult than others around them.

Seriously, you just don't know.

Cheers!

-A

7 comments:

Narm said...

Amen. Everyone is a martyr these days and it is getting old.

Allison M. said...

I'm with Narm. We all have different levels of stress. I'm one to always say, "it could be worse" because of the time it could. When I think I'm having it rough, I always remind myself that it could be worse and that fixes my foul mood.

Chedder Fish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chedder Fish said...

Preach IT!

I've got one of those "debbie downers" in my office and they seriously bring everyone down The mood when they leave for the day lifts every time.

The person won't talk to me anymore because I always respond with some cheerful opposite. She complained to someone else that she couldn't talk to me anymore about our pay cut backs because every day when she said something or moans or grunts about her job I eventually just started saying- "at least we still have jobs!" and so I must not understand the need to complain about the work every day.

She really insist on making her life out to be the worst and that no one could possibly understand what hardships she's been through.

Matt said...

I hope that I make six figs one day.

Purely just so I can tell someone I make "six figs"

Ashley said...

narm - agreed.

allison - if only everyone could think that way!

chedder - haha, I wish I could witness that.

matt - me too.

Don said...

great post.

you spoke the truth.


i realize you have stopped blogging, but since i ran across your page i figured i might as well read and offer feedback.